Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
SteveS

Default Killer – The Game of Assassination

I don't see a section for Killer. As a live-action game I'm not sure where it fits. Admins, please move as appropriate.

Anyway, given that the live-action Pokemon game is a hit, wouldn't a phone-assisted Killer be something with potential?
  • Visit a place, lurk and wait, and shoot the target with your phone-gun.
  • Visit a place, leave a remote-control bomb with your phone-bomb, and trigger it when your target arrives.
  • Visit a place, leave a time bomb with your phone-bomb, and hope your target is there at the right time.
  • Visit a place, find a window, and toss a phone-grenade in at your target.
  • Various other treacherous options, as creativity allows!

I doubt SJ Games would risk the expense of an in-house smartphone Killer, but if developers are into the idea, would the company approve? Are there developers who would be into the idea, assuming the company approves?
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Killer – The Game of Assassination

That seems like asking for way more trouble and negative press than is remotely wise. If the subject came up in the office I would argue VERY strongly against the idea.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #3
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
That seems like asking for way more trouble and negative press than is remotely wise. If the subject came up in the office I would argue VERY strongly against the idea.
Fair answer.

I know there was a huge Killer craze that ran through the dorms when I was in school. I was an off-campus student, and missed the buzz while it was happening, but it was impossible to miss the controversy. The only harm that ever came of it was disruptions to classes when players tried to "kill" other players during classes, and that was very quickly shut down by the game's organizers by ruling classrooms (maybe class buildings in general) off limits.

The controversy was based on people who objected to the entire idea of a game involving "killing", even if no one was ever harmed -- this on a campus where football was revered, in spite of the frequent harm done by players of that game to each other.

One might reasonably argue that such controversy might fall into the category of "any publicity is good publicity". But on the other hand, SJ Games was almost destroyed by the foolish reaction to GURPS Cyberpunk, so it makes sense not to court controversy without a lot of caution about potential risks. It would suck if even one SJ Games employee had to be laid off, or product printing delayed, because the company had to hire a lawyer or publicist to straighten out a messy controversy.

So I understand your opposition to the idea. Thanks for the comment.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Simply playing ordinary Killer would be a risky business these days: far too many people could jump to the wrong conclusions. Using AR for it would raise the stakes further and add a lot more scope for confusion and misunderstandings.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 AM   #5
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Simply playing ordinary Killer would be a risky business these days: far too many people could jump to the wrong conclusions. Using AR for it would raise the stakes further and add a lot more scope for confusion and misunderstandings.
You have a point. This would also be a very bad moment to run a promotion for Car Wars, or to release a new edition.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
This would also be a very bad moment to run a promotion for Car Wars, or to release a new edition.
;) While it's clearly a boardgame, no problem. Doing something that could lead people to misunderstand and think it was really about blowing up cars, more of a problem.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yeah, it was a really cool game--my friends and I took a half-hearted stab at it back in the 90's--but it's far too close to reality in this post 9/11 world.

Now if one could repackage it as "glitter tag", where the object is to get glitter stuck on your opponent, without any of the assassin connotations...that could yet be fun.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Now if one could repackage it as "glitter tag", where the object is to get glitter stuck on your opponent, without any of the assassin connotations...that could yet be fun.
Or "blackmailer" where the goal is to secretly get photos of your target in specific "compromising" situations, like drinking from a water fountain, or reading a book. Even then, might get mistaken for stalking (which, technically, I guess it is).
Old 07-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Even then, might get mistaken for stalking (which, technically, I guess it is).
Stalking is nonconsensual by its nature. If I'm part of a game where I know my picture might be taken as part of that game, I've given consent.

The Car Wars comparison is...odd. CW is a board game and very unlikely to confuse people who walk by and see what's going on. Killer is a LARP that's explicitly about murdering people and takes place out in the world around people who aren't part of the game, not a separated area like most LARPs. The word I'd use for people playing Killer right now is "foolhardy"; it's far too easy in this time of heightened scrutiny for someone to get unwelcome attention from authorities for behaving suspiciously.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
trooper6

I remember fondly playing Killer in high school back in the 80s. Now? No way I'd play it. I'm black and playing Killer in public now would probably just get me murdered by the police.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
killer