Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Snaps

Default [RPM] Mass Summon/Control Spirit

So we're still learning Ritual Path Magic (which is the best magic system in any game, IMO).

I'm running a fairly high powered game, an Infinite Worlds I-SWAT game where the players have been sent to find out what happened to Infinities base on Alderaan. (Don't judge me.)

One of the players is a powerful RPM Sorceress who just tapped into the Death Stars main reactor to power her spells. (Don't judge me.)

She's got Magery 10, and cast a version of the Draw Power spell on the reactor, giving her access to about 1200 energy. (Don't judge me.)

So here is my question:

She wants to cast a spell to summon the spirits from Alderaan, then send them after the people responsible for killing them on the Death Star. Basically summoning the spirits to the Death Star, causing them to manifest, then making them go berserk against the living.

I'm wondering what a spell like this would look like.

From my understanding of the rules, this would be a

Typical Casting: Greater Control Spirit (The summons, 5 energy) + Greater Control Spirit (Making them Berserk, 5 energy) Greater Create Spirit (Making them Manifest, 6 energy) + Altered Trait, Berserk (No Self-Control Roll) (5 energy) + Duration, 1 day (7 energy) + Range, 1,000,000 miles (108 energy). For a Total of 952 Energy (5+5+6+5+7+108x7=952)

(Note: we aren't using Path of Undead. Undead would be a Spirit+Body spell in our game).

Does this look right? Or does the spell need a separate use of Greater Control Spirit for each spirit effected, etc?
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Mass Summon/Control Spirit

If the effect is that they damage those responsible then I'd just create it as a damaging spell with a HUGE area of effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Snaps

I'm going with the assumption that this spell, as written would summon about 2 billion recently deceased souls, who would basically be given bodies of ectoplasm equivalent to their normal humanoid forms.

So two-billion, naked, berserking humanoids with average stats, and little to no special abilities.

One thing I think the spell needs is a way to transport the spirits from the debris of Alderaan to the Death Star. I've already informed the player that Alderaan is about a million miles away from them (about 5 times the distance from earth to the moon).
Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I'm going with the assumption that this spell, as written would summon about 2 billion recently deceased souls, who would basically be given bodies of ectoplasm equivalent to their normal humanoid forms.

So two-billion, naked, berserking humanoids with average stats, and little to no special abilities.

One thing I think the spell needs is a way to transport the spirits from the debris of Alderaan to the Death Star. I've already informed the player that Alderaan is about a million miles away from them (about 5 times the distance from earth to the moon).
Well, I don't see why you need to summon actual spirits and stat them if all they are doing is causing damage. That said, consider my Summoned spell modifier.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Kalzazz

Man . . . that is a lot of Greater Effects . . . that looks . . . off to me somehow

I think that the Berserk part could be A - managed as a Lesser Effect, and B - I don't think you need the Altered Traits portion, I think it could be subsumed into the Control itself
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Man . . . that is a lot of Greater Effects . . . that looks . . . off to me somehow

I think that the Berserk part could be A - managed as a Lesser Effect, and B - I don't think you need the Altered Traits portion, I think it could be subsumed into the Control itself
Yes, absolutely. You need a single Control effect to actually summon the things.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post

I pretty much just combined the Call Spirit and Feral Rage spells, with the added effect of letting them manifest. But yeah, this seems awfully cheap.

Imagine just a Feral Rage spell with enough Area Effect to cover the entire earth. It would cost you less than 300 energy (291) to turn everyone berserk for an entire day. (A magical version of what happens in Kingsman).

Less than casting Body of Shadow.

I've noticed this time and time again. Anytime something tells you to use the Size/Speed chart, the game breaks.

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm, spirit, star wars