Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Star Wars: Some Templates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
Where does that put us relative to the events of KOTOR and SW:TOR? I can't seem to remember how much time passes between KOTOR and SW:TOR and then again between SW:TOR and the movies.
Basic time frame:

The original Star Wars movie (Episode IV: A New Hope for the younger generation raised on the prequels) is designated Year 0 in the timeline. Before the Battle of Yavin is 0 BBY (Before Battle of Yavin), and after is 0 ABY (After Battle of Yavin).

The Sith go "extinct" in 1000 BBY when Darth Bane manipulates Lord Kaan into destroying the Sith Brotherhood of Darkness (and 100 Jedi, including General Hoth) in a "thought bomb" (a dark side ritual learned from Bane's discovery of Darth Revan's teachings). (Events depicted in the Jedi vs Sith comic and the Darth Bane novel trilogy.)

The Mandalorian Wars and subsequent conflicts (Jedi Civil War of KOTOR1 and the Silent War [not the canonical name] of KOTOR2) start roughly 4000 BBY. There is at least 20 years between the start of the Mandalorian Wars and the climax of the Silent War. SWTOR takes place roughly 300 years after KOTOR, or ~3700 years before the movies.

There is what's known as the Republic Dark Age from 2000 BBY to 1000 BBY (the Knight Errant novel and comics takes place during this time). Some of the tech we see in the KOTOR/TOR-era games but not in the movies is unofficially considered to have become LostTech during this time frame, usually due to resources running out and the know-how being set aside to be lost in the archives until forgotten.

From roughly 3700 BBY to 1000 BBY, with a few notable exceptions, a Jedi sat as Supreme Chancellor of the Republic Senate. During this time, many Jedi held officer military ranks in the Republic Army. That all changed in 1000 BBY after the Sith self-destructed, when the Senate passed a resolution which re-organized the Jedi into the form we saw in the prequels, stripping them of their military ranks. The Ruusan Reformation (as it's called, after the planet where the Sith "went extinct") also significantly pared down the Republic Military, as at the time there was no external threat to deal with. (The Sith at the time had lost world after world, and were concentrating all their forces on Ruusan. Much of the Sith "military" were mercenaries, not loyal to the Sith except for the fact that the Sith paid better.)

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-28-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
Where does that put us relative to the events of KOTOR and SW:TOR? I can't seem to remember how much time passes between KOTOR and SW:TOR and then again between SW:TOR and the movies.
As tbrock mentions in the first sentence of the OP, this is SW:TOR time.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Phantasm

I'm having a bit of a problem with the Jedi Consular. Here's what I have so far; suggestions are welcome and encouraged. I'm planning on setting the Consular template at 200 points before racial package and Force powers, as opposed to the Guardian and Sentinel on page 1.

Consulars are the diplomats, healers, teachers, and sages of the Jedi Order. They seek to spiritually understand the higher mysteries of the Force, without succumbing to the Dark Side.

Consulars traditionally wield a lightsaber with a green blade.

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 12 [4]; Will 14 [10]; Per 12 [0]; FP 14 [6]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Advantages: Energy Control Talent 2 [10]; ESP Talent 2 [10]; Force Sensitive [5]; Patron (Jedi Order) (Equipment: More Than Starting Wealth, +100%; Special Abilities: Extensive Social/Political Power, +50%) (9 or less) [63]; Psychokinesis Talent 2 [10]; Resistant to Poisons/Toxins (+8) [7]; Social Regard (Respected) 3 [15]; Telepathy Talent 2 [10]
Perks: Style Familiarity (Pick One) [1]; Weapon Bond (Lightsaber) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Jedi Code) [-15]; Duty (Jedi Order) (15 or less) [-15]. Also select -30 worth of points from the following: Callous [-5], Charitable [-15*], Fanaticism [-15], Guilt Complex [-5], Hidebound [-5], Honesty [-10*], Loner [-5*], On the Edge [-15*], Overconfidence [-5*], Pacifism (any) [-5 to -30], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty [-2 to -20], Stubbornness [-5], Truthfulness [-5*]. May also have one or more of the following: Blindness, Deafness, Hard of Hearing, Lame (Missing Legs or Legless), No Fine Manipulators, One Arm, One Eye, One Hand, or Quadriplegic, all with (Mitigator: Cybernetics, -70%).
Lightsaber Styles: Shii-Cho, Makashi, Soresu, or Niman.
Primary Skills: Philosophy (Jedi) (H) IQ+2 [12] - 14; and one of the following lenses:
Diplomat:
Historian:
Physician:
Scientist:
Force Mastery:
Secondary Skills:
Background Skills: Force Sword or Force Saber, both (A) DX+0 [2] - 10;
Equipment: All Jedi Consulars wield a lightsaber (Force Sword, $10,000).

Clearly, what I need help on are the skills. What skills would you give them?

(The four Power Talents - Energy Control, ESP, Psychokinesis, and Telepathy - in the template represent four of basic areas of the Force. Yes, I know that canonically the Force is divided into Control, Sense, and Alter, but that division doesn't really make any sense to me in GURPS terms, particularly when the at least one Jedi family - the Keiran Halcyon/Corran Horn line - is lacking in TK power. Better, I feel, to divide the Force along lines similar to those of Psionic Powers.)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Talosian

Some very (very) rough lenses, all built at 24 points 'cause that's what the first one cost. Just in general, I'd boost the consular's Force Sword skill to at least 12. They should at least be competent.

The main problem I see with the lenses is that ALL consulars should probably have a few points in Diplomacy, and History, and so on... (If you can balance it, a more rounded and less specific build without lenses might work better.)

-

Diplomat: Diplomacy (H) IQ+2 [12] - 14; Acting (A) IQ+1 [4] - 13; Detect Lies (H) IQ+1 [8] - 13.

Possibly Savoir-Faire of some kind, or Public Speaking. Maybe Body Language.

Historian: History (Jedi) (H) IQ+2 [12] - 14; History (Republic) (H) IQ+2 [8] - 13; History (Pick One) (H) IQ+2 [4] - 12.

I chose to assume that you would define the History skills very broadly, as doing it by century in Star Wars... O_o (Also, I left off Research 'cause Consulars should probably all have some skill in it.) You really could justify any number of History skills, though.

Physician: First Aid (E) IQ+2 [4] - 14; Diagnosis (H) IQ+0 [4] - 12; Physician (H) IQ+1 [8] - 13; Surgery (VH) IQ+0 [8] - 12.

You could replace Physician with Esoteric Medicine, depending on how you think a Jedi healer should operate.

Scientist: Biology (VH) IQ+0 [8] - 12; Physics (VH) IQ+0 [8] - 12; Mathematics (Applied) (H) IQ+0 [4] - 12; Chemistry (H) IQ+0 [4] - 12.

This one is impossibly broad. Scientist could involve Engineer (Any of a dozen or so), Pharmacy, Computer Programming, Electronics Operation (Scientific), and so on. I chose to put in a broad scattering of general science skills.

Force Mastery: Philosophy (Living Force, Unifying Force, or The Light Side) (H) IQ+2 [12] - 14; History (The Force) (H) IQ+1 [8] - 13; Hidden Lore (Jedi Lore) (A) IQ+0 [2] - 12; Hidden Lore (Force Secrets); (A) IQ+0 [2] - 12.

Not entirely sure what you wanted here. Guessed that this meant focusing on knowledge of the force in general, rather than applied skill. I've honestly no idea what Hidden Lore (Force Secrets) might DO, but it felt appropriate.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Phantasm

Okay, I finally sat down and hammered out a few things.

Bounty Hunter
200 points

When someone needs to be found, whether to bring them to justice or simply to find a missing person, the first response is the bounty hunter.

Sadly, many bounty hunters are little more than cold-hearted killers. Others hold themselves to a code of honor, trying their utmost to bring their target in alive whenever possible. Both are experts at tracking their prey and at combat.

Examples: Boba Fett, Bossk, Dengar, 4-LOM, IG-88, Mira, Zuckuss.

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 12 [2]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.25 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 10.
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Legal Enforcement Powers 2 (Informal, -50%) [5].
Perks: Equipment Bond or Weapon Bond (Select One) [1].
Disadvantages: -30 points from the following: Addiction [var], Alcoholism [-15], Bloodlust [-10*], Callous [-5], Code of Honor (Pirate's, Professional's, Gentleman's, or Soldier's) [var], Compulsive Behavior [var*], Debt [var]. Enemies [var*], Greed [-15*], Honesty [-10*], Lecherousness [-15*], Obsession [-5* or -10*], Overconfidence [-5*], Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10], Selfish [-5*], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty [var], Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5], Stubbornness [-5], Trademark [var], Truthfulness [-5*], or Workaholic [-5]. May also have one or more of the following: Blindness, Deafness, Hard of Hearing, Lame (Missing Legs or Legless), No Fine Manipulators, One Arm, One Eye, One Hand, or Quadriplegic, all with (Mitigator: Cybernetics, -70%).
Styles: Double Trouble, One-Man Army, Sniper, Ultimate Shootist, Way of the Galaxy.
Primary Skills: Intimidation (A) Will+2 [8] - 14; Law (Planet, Sector, or Galactic Gov't) (H) IQ+1 [8] - 13; Observation (A) Per+2 [8] - 14; Streetwise (A) IQ+2 [8] - 14; Tracking (A) Per+2 [8] - 14.
Secondary Skills: Criminology/TL11 (A) IQ+1 [4] - 13; Electronics Operation/TL11 (Communications, Security, Sensors, or Surveillance) (A) IQ+2 [8] - 14; Piloting (Flight Pack, Heavy Airplane, Light Airplane, High-Performance Aircraft, or High-Performance Spacecraft) (A) DX+0 [2] - 13. Plus two of Beam Weapons (Pistol, Rifle, or Wrist Gun) or Guns (Grenade Launcher, Gyroc, or Wrist Gun) or Liquid Projector (Flamethrower), all (E) DX+2 [4] - 15; one of Boxing (A) DX+1 [4] - 14 or Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] - 15; and one of Judo (H) DX+0 [4] - 13 or Sumo Wrestling or Wrestling, both (A) DX+1 [4] - 14.
Background Skills: Current Affairs/TL11 (Headline News) (E) IQ+1 [1] - 12; Fast-Draw (Ammo, Knife, Longarm, or Pistol) DX+1 [1] - 14†; Knife (E) DX+0 [1] - 13;
Equipment: A set of durasteel armor ($3,240), two or three weapons of choice.

* Modified by Self-Control Rating or Frequency of Appearance.
† Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Phantasm

and my updated

Jedi Consular
200 points

Jedi Consulars are the diplomats and teachers among the Jedi Order. These Jedi seek to bring peace to the galaxy by studying different cultures and finding ways for the cultures to get along. When disputes between planets or factions break out, the Consular is usually one of the first to get involved in order to try to resolve the dispute before violence erupts.

This does not mean that the Consular lacks the will to act when necessary, but the Consular realizes that violence is not the optimal solution. Indeed, to a Jedi Consular if violence breaks out it means that his negotiations have failed.

Consulars traditionally wield a lightsaber with a green blade.

Note that the template below lacks the inclusion of Force powers, with the exception of the Mind Trick. Most Consulars develop their ESP and telepathy powers to aid in their negotiations, and occasioanally supplement them with telekinetic and energy control abilities.

Examples: Leia Organa Solo, Mical, Qui-Gon Jinn.

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs; HP 12 [4]; Will 14 [10]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [6]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Advantages: ESP Talent 2 [10]; Force Sensitive [5]; Jedi Mind Trick [30]; Patron (Jedi Order) (Equipment: More Than Starting Wealth, +100%; Special Abilities: Extensive Social/Political Power, +50%) (9 or less) [63]; Resistant to Poisons/Toxins (+8) [7]; Social Regard (Respected) 3 [15]; Telepathy Talent 2 [10].
Perks: Style Familiarity (Pick One) [1]; Weapon Bond (Lightsaber) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Jedi Code) [-15]; Duty (Jedi Order) (15 or less) [-15]. Also select -30 worth of points from the following: Charitable [-15*], Discipline of Faith (Asceticism, Monasticism, or Mysticism) [-10 or -15], Fanaticism [-15], Guilt Complex [-5], Hidebound [-5], Honesty [-10*], Loner [-5*], On the Edge [-15*], Overconfidence [-5*], Pacifism (any) [-5 to -30], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty [-2 to -20], Stubbornness [-5], Truthfulness [-5*], Weath (Struggling or Poor) [-10 or -15]. May also have one or more of the following: Blindness, Deafness, Hard of Hearing, Lame (Missing Legs or Legless), No Fine Manipulators, One Arm, One Eye, One Hand, or Quadriplegic, all with (Mitigator: Cybernetics, -70%).
Lightsaber Styles: Shii-Cho, Makashi, Soresu, or Niman.
Primary Skills: Detect Lies (H) Per+0 [4] - 12; Diplomacy (H) IQ+1 [8] - 13; Philosophy (Jedi) (H) IQ+0 [4] - 12; Savoir-Faire (High Society) (E) IQ+2 [4] - 14; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4] - 13, and two of Politics, Public Speaking, Research/TL11, or Teaching, all (A) IQ+1 [4] - 13.
Secondary Skills: Body Language (Select One Species) (A) Per+0 [2] - 12; Force Saber or Force Sword, both (A) DX+0 [2] - 10; Meditation (H) Will-1 [2] - 13; Psychology (Select One Species) (H) IQ+0 [4] - 12.
Background Skills: Current Affairs/TL11 (any) (E) IQ+1 [2] - 13.
Equipment: All Jedi Consulars wield a lightsaber (Force Sword, $10,000).

I'm splitting the dedicated "use the Force in combat" Jedi into a Jedi Sage template, coming whenever I get around to it..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Phantasm

Jedi Sage
300 points

The Jedi Sage focuses on the mysteries of the Force. When he faces combat, he uses the Force as much as if not moreso than the traditional lightsaber; some even eschew the use of the lightsaber altogether.

Note that the template below lacks the inclusion of Force powers, save the two most commonly used: the Jedi Mind Trick and Rebuke. Sages tend to develop a wide range of Force powers, relying on them almost exclusively.

Sages traditionally carry a green blade.

Examples: Kreia, Master Fay, Yoda.

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 14 [5]; Per 13 [0]; FP 15 [9]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 9.
Advantages: Anti-Force Talent 2 [10]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Energy Control Talent 2 [10]; ESP Talent 2 [10]; Force Healing Talent 2 [10]; Force Sensitive [5]; Jedi Mind Trick [30]; Patron (Jedi Order) (Equipment: More Than Starting Wealth, +100%; Special Abilities: Extensive Social/Political Power, +50%) (9 or less) [63]; Psychokinesis Talent 2 [10]; Rebuke [43]; Resistant to Poisons/Toxins (+8) [7]; Social Regard (Respected) 3 [15]; Telepathy Talent 2 [10].
Perks: TK Tether (Lightsaber) [1]; Weapon Bond (Lightsaber) [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Jedi Code) [-15]; Duty (Jedi Order) (15 or less) [-15]. Also select -30 worth of points from the following: Charitable [-15*], Discipline of Faith (Asceticism, Monasticism, or Mysticism) [-10 or -15], Fanaticism [-15], Guilt Complex [-5], Honesty [-10*], On the Edge [-15*], Overconfidence [-5*], Pacifism (up to Self-Defense Only) [-5 to -15], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty [-2 to -20], Stubbornness [-5], Truthfulness [-5*], Weath (Struggling or Poor) [-10 or -15]. May also have one or more of the following: Blindness, Deafness, Hard of Hearing, Lame (Missing Legs or Legless), No Fine Manipulators, One Arm, One Eye, One Hand, or Quadriplegic, all with (Mitigator: Cybernetics, -70%).
Lightsaber Styles: Shii-Cho, Makashi, Soresu, Niman.
Primary Skills: Hidden Lore (Force Mysteries) (A) IQ+1 [4] - 14; Meditation (H) Will+1 [8] - 15.
Secondary Skills: Autohypnosis (H) Will+0 [4] - 14; Mind Trick (H) IQ+2 [4] - 15*; Philosophy (Jedi) (H) IQ+0 [4] - 13; Rebuke (H) Will+2 [4] - 16†.
Background Skills: Force Sword (A) DX-1 [1] - 9; Research/TL11 (A) IQ-1 [1] - 12.
Equipment: Most (but not all) Jedi Sages weild a lightsaber (Force Sword, $10,000).

* includes +2 from Telepathy Talent.
† includes +2 from Anti-Force Talent.

I originally planned to make the Sage a 200 point character, but the build fought me on it. So here's a 300 point version.

This character template is not really suited for a 400-point game like the one I'm currently running; TK alone can easily boost this char up to 500+ points. This makes a Sage a good NPC rather than a PC for low-point games; like Yoda in the movies and Kreia in KOTOR2, an NPC Sage knows the powers demanded by the plot.

That wraps up my Jedi templates. I still have to do a number of non-Forcies as well as a handful of Sith templates. If I go alphabetical for the ones I've got in my notes, the next ones may be Mandalorian Warrior, Pirate, and Secret Agent (aka Fry Cook, according to our gaming group).

Tags
star wars, template, templates