Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
alexondria

Default Re: Sites to find normal faces of specific ages?

I was at the mall over Christmas last year. It was the first time that I'd just been at the mall and not on a mission in a long time. As such I was more aware of the people around me. I likely looked like a creep because I couple of teen girls passed by me. I'd guess they were 16 or 17 and as they passed my head turned to follow them. The thought that I was lost is was "they look so young- like children- when I was that age I thought I looked so mature and adult"

As for pictures of teens. Try this . It should be safe I just did a google image search for highschool yearbook.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Yet looking at as many images as I can find, modern high school students are creepily older looking than when I was a kid. All still kids, but the 13 year olds look like how most of the 16-18 year olds did back in 1990-1992 when I graduated. And I started puberty at 10, so something's a bit weird going on that I wish more cared about with real research.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:21 AM   #13
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Yet looking at as many images as I can find, modern high school students are creepily older looking than when I was a kid. All still kids, but the 13 year olds look like how most of the 16-18 year olds did back in 1990-1992 when I graduated. And I started puberty at 10, so something's a bit weird going on that I wish more cared about with real research.
On that note, I will say that kids seem to be more "physically mature" now than they were when we were in high school, especially the girls.
Back when I was in high school, a girl that had a very noticeable bosom was not a common sight.
Now you have 12-14 year olds that can pass for for 18 to early 20s, especially with makeup.

Some people are saying its because of all the hormones/antibiotics/chemicals that have contaminated/infiltrated into our food and water sources.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #14
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
On that note, I will say that kids seem to be more "physically mature" now than they were when we were in high school, especially the girls.
Back when I was in high school, a girl that had a very noticeable bosom was not a common sight.
Now you have 12-14 year olds that can pass for for 18 to early 20s, especially with makeup.

Some people are saying its because of all the hormones/antibiotics/chemicals that have contaminated/infiltrated into our food and water sources.
I suspect that has less to do with physical maturity and more to do with push-up and padded bras being more common and less fake looking. I can tell you that my bosom hasn't actually gotten any bigger since my junior maybe even sophomore year of high school(95 or 96), but thanks to Victoria Secret it looks bigger now. I personally remember plenty that had noticeable bosoms in high school as well. When I saw the girls in the mall that I mentioned earlier it was the facial structure more than anything that made them look so young to me. I can't describe exactly what it was about it as I stopped looking as soon as I mentally connected that I was since I didn't want to be some creeper, but something about their faces just made them look young.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
I suspect that has less to do with physical maturity and more to do with push-up and padded bras being more common and less fake looking.
According to a publication from the Canadian Women's Health Network (http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39365), "girls get their first periods, on average, a few months earlier than girls 40 years ago, but they get their breasts one to two years earlier." This follows an earlier change over the past century or so in the age at menarche from 17 to 13 (I read once that Booth Tarkington's novel Seventeen would have to be called Twelve if it came out now).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
According to a publication from the Canadian Women's Health Network (http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39365), "girls get their first periods, on average, a few months earlier than girls 40 years ago, but they get their breasts one to two years earlier." This follows an earlier change over the past century or so in the age at menarche from 17 to 13 (I read once that Booth Tarkington's novel Seventeen would have to be called Twelve if it came out now).
Wow that really surprises me. Maybe my memories clouded or personal experiences are atypical.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
Wow that really surprises me. Maybe my memories clouded or personal experiences are atypical.
Probably just generalizing your personal experiences and body to most other girls at the time. I always remembered myself as MUCH smaller and nerdier than I really objectively appeared. Oddly, everyone at the time acted like I was that small and low power as well.
I remember quite a few 12 year olds having adult sized breasts back in 7th/8th grade. For no reason I can understand, I know that my grandmother had her first period at 16.
But faces are rounder until early 20s past puberty proper. I went through what I call my second puberty when my muscles "exploded" again around 18-19 despite being quite sedentary.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Oh noes!

Is Family Guy's Tom Tucker right?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #19
LemmingLord

Maybe keyword what grade they miggt be in? Tenth grade sports for example.