Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
hcobb

Default A lock so big the average wizard can't knock it?

Does the cost (per level) of a Lock spell scale as the size of the hangar bay door (launch the dragons!) or the size of the (much smaller) physical lock on that door.

And if there is a huge door with five Lock spells on it, do I need to cast Knock at the same cost?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: A lock so big the average wizard can't knock it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Does the cost (per level) of a Lock spell scale as the size of the hangar bay door (launch the dragons!) or the size of the (much smaller) physical lock on that door.

And if there is a huge door with five Lock spells on it, do I need to cast Knock at the same cost?
As with most questions around here, I'm inclined to answer, "Ask your GM". :)

That said, I'd go with the size of the physical lock.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

Hey! I want to work something based on this into chapter 5 of my story. Would you mind if I used this thread to work out the details?
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
hcobb

Drift is what we do here.

My use is big sliding doors without a mechanical lock for the witch's dragon friend.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #5
JimmyPlenty

Keep it simple and a ST point to the cost.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
larsdangly

If the lock is of normal human scale (i.e., a key you could manipulate with your hands will unlock it), then I would rule it doesn't matter how big the door is. If its a giant lock, then I might multiply the ST cost.

By the way, the party I run in my campaign recently played a session where they made excellent use of the Knock spell, and I came away very impressed by how useful this spell can be in the right hands!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
KevinJ

The concept that a 'man-sized' lock required the stated ST for the spell and a 'giant-sized' lock needed more ST to function sounds very interesting.

Given a world where Giants are as intelligent and magic using as any other species; would giants only need to spend normal ST to cast Knock on a giant -sized locks and less for man-sized locks or normal ST for man-sized locks and more for giant-sized locks?

And what about 2-hex or large 1-hex species? Does this become to complex? Suppose the ST cost is the same for all locks, no matter the size, but opening the door itself might require 30ST to turn the knob and push the door open.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
oldwolf

Perhaps a really big lock has a keyhole large enough that anyone can look inside, reach in and move the mechanism to the right position to open it. Truly humongous locks, of course have doorway size keyholes and can simply be walked through.

;-)
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 AM   #9
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
Perhaps a really big lock has a keyhole large enough that anyone can look inside, reach in and move the mechanism to the right position to open it. Truly humongous locks, of course have doorway size keyholes and can simply be walked through.

;-)
That reminds me of some of the Jack and the Beanstalk stories. In a few he is able to climb through keyholes.

The question of really big locks depends on really big races being builders and needing locks. One case might be that the locks are very old , from a now extinct civilization of giant people.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:28 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
The question of really big locks depends on really big races being builders and needing locks. One case might be that the locks are very old , from a now extinct civilization of giant people.
One might be burglarizing the home of the gods -- but that probably wouldn't end well.

Even more interesting might be to burglarize R'lyeh. Oh, that definitely wouldn't end well.