Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #471
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

I thought echoes were rare but existing pre-humanity, but they cluster the more forward in time they are set.
Is that not from Gurps? Am I mistaking rules from a books series?
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #472
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I thought echoes were rare but existing pre-humanity, but they cluster the more forward in time they are set.
Is that not from Gurps? Am I mistaking rules from a books series?
Infinite Worlds is vague on this, like a lot of the setting, with the excuse/handwave that Infinity doesn't really understand any of this stuff.

It's an intentional design feature - it gives the GM flexibility to do anything he wants. If you've seen much of anything about interdimensional physics or geography nailed down very hard it's from somewhere else.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #473
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2
 
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: My in-laws' house (damn economy ...)
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Anime-6

This world looks a lot like modern Earth. The main visible difference is that three-quarters of the population has "anime-colored" hair and eyes (colors not found in nature). "Anime hair" also has a distinctive texture, allowing it to be styled in more elaborate fashions.

After some study, it was discoverd that the vitamin-deficiency diseases never existed in Anime-6, nor did vitamin-supplement companies.

It turns out that there is a symbiotic bacteria in this world that lives in primates and manufactures vitamins for it's host. Most of the population reacts to the presence of this bacteria by developing the anime colors of hair and eyes. Testing showed that this bacteria can live in outtimers, but only for a short time, and cannot be cultivated outside of Anime-6.

So a treatment with the symbiotic bacteria can allow an outtimer to manufacture his own vitamins for six to eight weeks, with five percent developing "anime-colors" as a side effect. (The anime-colored users are also the ones whose treatments last the longest.) The bacteria itself must be harvested from Anime-6.
__________________
"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power."
- Sam Starfall from the webcomic Freefall
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #474
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Anime-6

This world looks a lot like modern Earth. The main visible difference is that three-quarters of the population has "anime-colored" hair and eyes (colors not found in nature). "Anime hair" also has a distinctive texture, allowing it to be styled in more elaborate fashions.

After some study, it was discoverd that the vitamin-deficiency diseases never existed in Anime-6, nor did vitamin-supplement companies.

It turns out that there is a symbiotic bacteria in this world that lives in primates and manufactures vitamins for it's host. Most of the population reacts to the presence of this bacteria by developing the anime colors of hair and eyes. Testing showed that this bacteria can live in outtimers, but only for a short time, and cannot be cultivated outside of Anime-6.

So a treatment with the symbiotic bacteria can allow an outtimer to manufacture his own vitamins for six to eight weeks, with five percent developing "anime-colors" as a side effect. (The anime-colored users are also the ones whose treatments last the longest.) The bacteria itself must be harvested from Anime-6.
A really useful treasure with a deeply annoying drawback. Well played Mysterious Dark Lord V3.2.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #475
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

I'd probably bump up the time to 6 to 8 months. Healthy people don't really suffer dietary vitamin deficiency over a few weeks assuming they were eating properly beforehand.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 AM   #476
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2
 
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: My in-laws' house (damn economy ...)
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'd probably bump up the time to 6 to 8 months. Healthy people don't really suffer dietary vitamin deficiency over a few weeks assuming they were eating properly beforehand.
Vitamin pills = 365 doses per year.
Anime-6 treatment = 6 to 8 treatments per year

And most dietary deficiency conditions result because people cannot eat properly.

So 6-8 weeks is still good.
__________________
"When you talk about damage radius, even atomic weapons pale before that of an unfettered idiot in a position of power."
- Sam Starfall from the webcomic Freefall
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #477
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Okay, so one has to keep a large supply of these to have even a minor effect for those in survival situations where they can't eat normally?
I suppose that's valuable.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #478
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Vitamin pills = 365 doses per year.
Anime-6 treatment = 6 to 8 treatments per year

And most dietary deficiency conditions result because people cannot eat properly.

So 6-8 weeks is still good.
I'd do things a little differently. There'd be the normal price version that fits your basic specs, useful for undercover work in places were nutritious food is rare (Cyberpunk slums, "Court of Miracles type slums, or 21st century High schools) and a more expensive type that lasts a year or so, for explorers working in deep wilderness or similarly rough environments.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #479
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

I still don't get the point. At best it can be replaced with a tiny bottle of multivitamins.
I suppose it might work as a treatment for someone with a malabsorption disorder or lacking in certain intestinal microbes.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #480
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Malthusian is a world where a Roman Catholic monastery made remarkable advances in chemistry and biology, introducing fertilizers, vaccination, and antibiotics centuries early. The result is a modern population pushing 20 billion that is on the edge of sustainability. But it does have agricultural products and medical technology available nowhere else.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infinite worlds

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.