Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Talents are better than attributes

Note the ever shrinking number of white rows where your attributes make any difference at all as the number of dice rolled increase:

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving_...rcentages.html

(And also the impossibly high attribute levels required in these ranges.)

Hence it is always better to have the correct talents for the roll rather than take a super high attribute and attempt an untalented roll.

For one example nobody has an even chance to make a three-hex jump without acrobatics. So feel free to taunt warhorses, giants, Olympic record holders in the long jump, etc. from the other side.

Last edited by hcobb; 12-25-2018 at 04:13 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Talents are better than attributes

Not sure I follow you. The Acrobatics Talent lets you roll 1 less dice to attempt a DX based task. That's all. Whilst, all other factors being equal, it's better to have a specific Talent for a specific task, having a higher Attribute has a broader spectrum of application and applies to many tasks. Generally I'd rather have a higher Attribute score.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
hcobb

Talents are always better for a roll than adding 3.5 points to your attribute.

While untalented use isn't any more likely to break your weapon it increases by almost half your chance to drop your weapon.

Alertness gives you a roll to spot anything while there are several cases where the untalented get no roll at all. (Of course the alert player would only say that's strange while the Expert Naturalist would point out the exact type of each Slime ambush and list a half dozen ways to deal with each type.)

Would you rather have each party member have three more ST or have a Master Physicker along?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Talents are always better for a roll than adding 3.5 points to your attribute.

While untalented use isn't any more likely to break your weapon it increases by almost half your chance to drop your weapon.

Alertness gives you a roll to spot anything while there are several cases where the untalented get no roll at all. (Of course the alert player would only say that's strange while the Expert Naturalist would point out the exact type of each Slime ambush and list a half dozen ways to deal with each type.)

Would you rather have each party member have three more ST or have a Master Physicker along?
That would depend whether I needed a healer or someone to wield a 2-handed weapon. It's horses for courses. Talents are very important but only where they are relevant. Attributes, as I've said, are always relevant.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
TippetsTX

The statistics are interesting, but they are more illustrative of the problem with the escalating range for critical failures IMO. And how often does something really come up that requires more than a 6 dice roll?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
The statistics are interesting, but they are more illustrative of the problem with the escalating range for critical failures IMO. And how often does something really come up that requires more than a 6 dice roll?
Good point. The only time I'd ask my players to make a 6d roll was when I was giving them a hint they were doing something stupid 😜
Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
"Without this talent, you roll twice as many dice" - Page 39

An alert Naturalist is maxed out at IQ 11 and will more or less automatically spot things the average IQ 19 Goblin Apprentice overlooks.

Last edited by hcobb; 12-26-2018 at 01:18 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Chris Rice

[QUOTE=hcobb;2231172]"Without this talent, you roll twice as many dice" - Page 39

Which version of the rules are you looking at? I don't see this.

Last edited by Chris Rice; 12-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
hcobb

[QUOTE=Chris Rice;2231190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
"Without this talent, you roll twice as many dice" - Page 39

Which version of the rules are you looking at? I don't see this.
15th Oct 2018 ITL.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Good point. The only time I'd ask my players to make a 6d roll was when I was giving them a hint they were doing something stupid 😜
Yes, although attacks against a defending weapons master or UC V artist are now also 6D rolls, so there are "normal" situations where this can arise.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote