Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default How does 5e D&D compare to the others?

I played AD&D and later D&D 3.5E, how does D&D 5e stack up?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
isf

Default Re: How does 5e D&D compare to the others?

It is playable but it allows much less customization than 3.5; Skills are either trained (proficiency bonus (from 1 to 6 depending on on level) + attribute bonus) or untrained (attribute bonus), there are some class features that allow for twice your proficiency bonus for a few skills. You can get either a feat or a attribute bonus every 4 levels rather than both like in 3.5.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

My tag line is "Second edition feel, third edition mechanics." That vastly oversimplifies the game, but it's a starting point.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
You can get either a feat or a attribute bonus every 4 levels rather than both like in 3.5.
More on this topic. The attribute bonus earn points varies heavily by class. Most classes get them roughly every 4 levels, some get more of them, more often, some get less.

The Feat thing, however, is entirely in the category of Optional Rules, so it depends on the DM using them or not.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
More on this topic. The attribute bonus earn points varies heavily by class. Most classes get them roughly every 4 levels, some get more of them, more often, some get less.
The default is to get bumps at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. Fighters get additional bumps at 6 and 14, rogues get an additional bump at 10. I suspect these additional bumps are expected to be used on feats, as on most builds only the first two bumps are especially important.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The default is to get bumps at 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19. Fighters get additional bumps at 6 and 14, rogues get an additional bump at 10. I suspect these additional bumps are expected to be used on feats, as on most builds only the first two bumps are especially important.
I don't assume they'll be used on Feats since Feats are explicitly mentioned to be Optional, and only if the DM allows them.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
I don't assume they'll be used on Feats since Feats are explicitly mentioned to be Optional, and only if the DM allows them.
Frequently balancing, such as it is, is done with the assumption of all options turned on.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
robertsconley

Quote:

The Feat thing, however, is entirely in the category of Optional Rules, so it depends on the DM using them or not.
Yup, feats are good for flavor but as far as overall combat prowess for either path is equally effective in my experience.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I played AD&D and later D&D 3.5E, how does D&D 5e stack up?
There's a lot less bonus stacking so the power curve is a lot flatter, spellcasting is a lot less quadratic, and they've heavily nerfed buff and debuff builds (almost all maintained spells Concentration spells -- which you can maintain no more than one of), but it still retains a D&D feel.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
ak_aramis

The math works out to
Attribute Mod: caps for PC's at +7 (24 attribute - Barbarians only)
Proficiency Mod: either +0 if non-proficient, or +2 to +6 (by level) if proficient
Magical modifier: Max +3.
Rogues in their specialty: add proficiency again.

So, the best weapon attack from a level 20 (the maximum) PC is +13 with no magic, or +16 without.

All attribute modifiers for race are positives.

Very few things get ANY numerical bonuses other than the above. Instead, if there's something that makes it easier, it's got "advantage", if it's got something that makes it harder, "disadvantage"... if both, then straight roll. Advantage, roll 2x and keep higher; disadvantage, roll twice and keep lower.

Play's different than 3.5 in many ways, not the least of which is faster combats due to fewer calculations. GMs wishing to do so may also drop damage rolls entirely, and use base damage.

Criticals are non-optional and use Nat 20 (nat 19 for a particular subclass), but only on death saves, normal saves, and attacks. 2 different resolutions are allowed:
Roll the damage die and add
Add base damage again.

Most use the roll and add, even if using base damage only. (Which is average, rounded up.)

No fumbles, but a nat 1 fails a save or attack.

All saves are attribute driven; proficiency is by class.

Multi-classing is massively nerfed from 3.x. Sufficiently so that pure builds have, every time I've had a player multi-class, proven superior.

Att gains are in place of additional feats, and are a class feature, not a character level feature

Plus, all full casters, and several half-casters, have cantrips which are "at will," and most are attacks.

It doesn't feel at all like AD&D to me; if it had, I wouldn't have run 5 years of it. It didn't feel like 3.X, either, and the same conditional.

It feels closest to BECMI/Cyclopaedia in terms of ability growth, but streamlined heavily.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote