Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Post-Apocalypse Firearms

SJgames I'm trying to put together a list of weapons and gear to use in my Post-Apocalypse Game and am wondering about gun crafting in particular. Any advice or suggestions?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Hannes665

Default Re: Post-Apocalypse Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
SJgames I'm trying to put together a list of weapons and gear to use in my Post-Apocalypse Game and am wondering about gun crafting in particular. Any advice or suggestions?
I presume you will be using pre-existing guns in your world?

Have you then check High Tech, High Tech Pulp Guns and Adventure guns?

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
I presume you will be using pre-existing guns in your world?

Have you then check High Tech, High Tech Pulp Guns and Adventure guns?
Yes and yes, but this game will take place some time after the Apocalypse which was a zombie plague outbreak followed by a nuclear exchange then by a solar flare EMP then an Ice age causing asteroid impact. Don't ask why all this **** happened I have players who read this forum.

I am aware that modern guns are built to last so I'm not against them being present but just which ones would be used and how ammunition would be obtained are some of my questions. Also what's going to be crafted by the survivors to make do in the absence of abundant ammunition.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

You've also got to ask yourself a few questions (or just decide they don;t matter as they'd get in the way of ACTION!):

How long has it been since the the apocalypse posted?

If it's been 20+ years those old guns don't have too many bullets lying around anymore (no don;t ask where I pulled 20 years from, I think it was from old research), as the metal will corrode and the powder will go bad. Unless you have some manufacturing capacity hanging around to make new bullets (which can totally be the case, a single or a few, strongholds as 'points of light' in the darkness). But even then, you don't just have big stores of bullets cached around or stores that sell bullets anymore...

What tech level is society at?

It's fine if most of the wastes have dropped to say 2-4 with a few hold outs with guns and vehicles. It makes your techie PC with his gun and few tech items the party wizard (or whatever role). But if too much of society is below advanced gun tech... maintaining those guns will be very difficult. Of course older blackpowder guns are easier to manufacture and produce shot for, so maybe it's the Four Musketeers Come to Frogtown?

As for gun crafting... that takes some techniques and machinery that won't exist in a TL3 Blacksmith's forge.

Of course if serious realism is not what you are looking for... then ignore this. Have the PCs find an abandoned machinist shop and the ability to give it power and let them go crazy.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
How long has it been since the the apocalypse posted?

If it's been 20+ years those old guns don't have too many bullets lying around anymore (no don;t ask where I pulled 20 years from, I think it was from old research), as the metal will corrode and the powder will go bad. Unless you have some manufacturing capacity hanging around to make new bullets (which can totally be the case, a single or a few, strongholds as 'points of light' in the darkness). But even then, you don't just have big stores of bullets cached around or stores that sell bullets anymore...
Not sure exactly how long it's been but I'd say more than 20 years is probably.

Quote:
What tech level is society at?

It's fine if most of the wastes have dropped to say 2-4 with a few hold outs with guns and vehicles. It makes your techie PC with his gun and few tech items the party wizard (or whatever role). But if too much of society is below advanced gun tech... maintaining those guns will be very difficult. Of course older blackpowder guns are easier to manufacture and produce shot for, so maybe it's the Four Musketeers Come to Frogtown?
I'd say TL4 is a nice setting average.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
I am aware that modern guns are built to last...
Ehhhhhhhhh.... some are. Some really aren't. Some have tolerances so tight you take them outside and they'll jam on you (I kid, the FNP90 is a sweet, accurate, little assault weapon, but she wasn't made for the rough and tumble, she needs to be well cared for, and an Ice Age ain't 'well cared for').

Some are made to last through all the wars, like the Colt M1911 (it's called the 1911 because that's when it's base model was designed) and it's still used today. Some are still around from the first assembly!

Honestly there are 3 things that will ruin your arsenal:

1 - Moisture. If the firearm isn't cleaned frequently it will corrode. Unless you have it soaking in oil (like literally soaking under the surface). Your bullets are the same. (Okay, in a really dry environment... you could get away with not storing fireamrs in oil or frequently cleaning and oiling them in storage)
2 - Time. The springs will eventually lose tension. With bullets the powder and primer will eventually decay (though if stored in a cool, dry location... I've heard it can last 'forever').
3 - Usage. Parts wear. Without part replacement ability, eventually all guns will stop working.

So your biggest hurdle will be Replacement Parts on the firearms.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Minuteman37

Quote:
Ehhhhhhhhh.... some are. Some really aren't. Some have tolerances so tight you take them outside and they'll jam on you (I kid, the FNP90 is a sweet, accurate, little assault weapon, but she wasn't made for the rough and tumble, she needs to be well cared for, and an Ice Age ain't 'well cared for').

Some are made to last through all the wars, like the Colt M1911 (it's called the 1911 because that's when it's base model was designed) and it's still used today. Some are still around from the first assembly!

Honestly there are 3 things that will ruin your arsenal:

1 - Moisture. If the firearm isn't cleaned frequently it will corrode. Unless you have it soaking in oil (like literally soaking under the surface). Your bullets are the same. (Okay, in a really dry environment... you could get away with not storing fireamrs in oil or frequently cleaning and oiling them in storage)
2 - Time. The springs will eventually lose tension. With bullets the powder and primer will eventually decay (though if stored in a cool, dry location... I've heard it can last 'forever').
3 - Usage. Parts wear. Without part replacement ability, eventually all guns will stop working.

So your biggest hurdle will be Replacement Parts on the firearms.
Any suggestions for "common" guns?

Also Evil I understand that I'm new here so I don't fault you for not knowing how savvy I am, but I live in alaska and own several guns and know full well why the M1911 is called the M1911.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Victor Maxus

A cut down, sawn off, double barrel shotgun is a must. Can't run around the wasteland without it.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
Minuteman37

Actually the game may be taking place in Alaska so going for a more tribe feel may be a good idea, What are your thoughts about making it TL2 or less?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maxus View Post
A cut down, sawn off, double barrel shotgun is a must. Can't run around the wasteland without it.
And (single-action) revolvers are probably better in this situation than semi-auto for pistols (and maybe even for rifles), because they're a simpler mechanism, they don't jam (misfire, yes, but not jam), and aid to that "wild west" feel you can get with post-apocalyptic places.

I daresay, though, that the OP managed to somehow get every end-of-the-world scenario save "alien invasion" in there . . . . or maybe the aliens are the ones that smacked the asteroid into place to attempt to wipe us (and the zombies) out, then set up a base where the savage humans couldn't find it because the humans were dealing with their own issues. o/`

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-20-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end