Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #121
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Realistic Point Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestigor View Post
To the OP, what, exactly are you trying to discover in this post that hasn’t already been answered by the very knowledgeable posters here already? If you just want to post info on your campaign do that. If you’re trying to get the consensus of posters here to agree with you, I don’t think that’ll happen as they seem to disagree with most of your base assumptions, and that’s fine as it’s your game but do you have anything substantive to ask that hasn’t already been answered?
Yes I got multiple very important questions, such as:

How do you calculate the energy output of the "SOLAR POWER
SATELLITE" in "Spaceships 6. Mining and space industry."?
How may I approximate to a Market Cap value for a company, should I just take its revenue and check averages by industry in price/sales ratios?
When in Biotech it is said that "mass market drugs are worth down to 1% of their book prices", how do I realistically represent this? How much would a production line of these characteristics cost? As per Campaign Basic Set I can say that production lines lower the production costs to 50% and increases efficiency to a seven facton not x100...

And more, but I would say that it is better to go little by little :)
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:05 AM   #122
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I am not really sure that I have understood this, but I will try.

It is a simulation game taking the Earth as a base and forcing some alternate reality upon it. First I generate a population taking 10 as average and 1 as standard deviation, I make the world population 7.6 billion thus getting (after dropping decimals and considering that the same number goes for each the highest and the lowest stats, so 7 people with IQ-16 and 7 more with IQ-4)

attribute-(16/4) number of people in the world 7
attribute-(15/5) number of people in the world 2.178
attribute-(14/6) number of people in the world 240.701
attribute-(13/7) number of people in the world 10.259.225
attribute-(12/8) number of people in the world 172.901.003
attribute-(11/9) number of people in the world 1.205.779.930
attribute-(10) the rest

OK assuming this distribution is correct (and I'm not sure it is) that works for one attribute, but you have four at 13 each with 3 SD. Now this gets a bit complicated because I'd imagine some stats are linked (in RW terms) but some aren't. e.g I can imagine there's possibly a sympathetic crossover between ST and HT, but not IQ and ST etc.

Quote:
then I try to draw some lines as for skills, based on some Kromm posts and Who´s Who books, this time setting 12 as an average and 1,5 as standard deviation:

skill (7-) Unskilled.
skill (8/9) Beginners.
skill (10/11) Most background and secondary job skills for ordinary folks.
skill (12/13) Most job skills for ordinary folks.
skill (14/16) The most seasoned of ordinary folks.
skill (17/19) Extraordinary world-class experts.
skill (20/21) Top experts from all of history.
skill (22/23) Historical best.
skill (24) Maximum human capacity.

this meaning that it takes over 76 billion people to find a skill-22, and almost 9 trillion people for a skill-23, but since this is just a distribution, some exceptions can be made where reasonable....
I would certainly not do SD with skills though, the driving forces behind skill do not match up with that kind of distribution. (especially when you get into question of how may skill person has, how interrelated they are and so on)

I also wouldn't take 12 as a midline average

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-08-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 AM   #123
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
OK assuming this distribution is correct (and I'm not sure it is) that works for one attribute, but you have four at 13 each with 3 SD. Now this gets a bit complicated because I'd imagine some stats are linked (in RW terms) but some aren't. e.g I can imagine there's possibly a sympathetic crossover between ST and HT, but not IQ and ST etc.

I would certainly not do SD with skills though, the driving forces behind skill do not match up with that kind of distribution. (especially when you get into question of how may skill person has, how interrelated they are and so on)

I also wouldn't take 12 as a midline average
I agree, but I still need some figures as to point how many people with a fixed skill value can be find in what kind of a population. Do the players need to conduct a global search, or is it enough to visit that store at the corner of the street? As for accumulated distribution, I just factor them, for 13;13;13;12, as is the case, you find on among almost eighteen billion people :)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #124
Tomsdad

Quote:
I agree, but I still need some figures as to point how many people with a fixed skill value can be find in what kind of a population. Do the players need to conduct a global search, or is it enough to visit that store at the corner of the street?

I think your need to have them doesn't validate your figures*. If this was just abstract it wouldn't matter (you'd set your assumptions and work your figures and get your result), but your trying to squish reality into your maths, but that doesn't really work when you trying to get your maths to model reality.

The problem here is skills (in GURPS terms) cover such wide range of human activities that are taught, learned, needed, displayed and distributed in many many different ways, and via a huge range of variables and in non "normal" occurrence patterns.

*a classic in Stats is "I have figures and a theory, I must be able to show something" When all too often there's a lot of work and analysis that ends without showing anything statistically valid. (man that reads like a pompus ass, sorry!)

Quote:
As for accumulated distribution, I just factor them, for 13;13;13;12, as is the case, you find on among almost eighteen billion people :)
Fair enough

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-09-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #125
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
I think your need to have them doesn't validate your figures*. If this was just abstract it wouldn't matter (you'd set your assumptions and work your figures and get your result), but your trying to squish reality into your maths, but that doesn't really work when you trying to get your maths to model reality.

The problem here is skills (in GURPS terms) cover such wide range of human activities that are taught, learned, needed, displayed and distributed in many many different ways, and via a huge range of variables and in non "normal" occurrence patterns.

*a classic in Stats is "I have figures and a theory, I must be able to show something" When all too often there's a lot of work and analysis that ends without showing anything statistically valid. (man that reads like a pompus ass, sorry!)

Fair enough
XDDDD well, I guess I coild research into the statistical education levels of population, and work with the attributes distribution to conduct some kind of skills distribution too, though I would say that around 50 skill points for a bachelor is enough, which considering an average job template to be composed by six skills, would turn into 7-8 points each. If the skills are average, that would make them IQ/DX/HT+2 (average=12), so I mostly get the same figures :S. Have you got any other ideas?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #126
AlexanderHowl

I think that you are putting too much thought into it. If you want a superhuman NPC, go for it, just realize that they are cinematic rather than realistic.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #127
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I think that you are putting too much thought into it. If you want a superhuman NPC, go for it, just realize that they are cinematic rather than realistic.
I don't think it's a case of "too much thought." A superhuman entity really ought to have a well thought out origin story. But what I think is going on is the wrong kind of thought.

A superbeing, a monster, or a god is a lusus naturae, a freak of nature, outside of the normal order of things. What it has is an "origin story," in superheroic terms, or a theogony, in divine terms. And that kind of story doesn't involve "I made this roll when I was five years old and this roll when I was seven years old." That kind of backstory doesn't make a good narrative. And it's the effective narrative that brings such a character to life.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #128
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think it's a case of "too much thought." A superhuman entity really ought to have a well thought out origin story. But what I think is going on is the wrong kind of thought.

A superbeing, a monster, or a god is a lusus naturae, a freak of nature, outside of the normal order of things. What it has is an "origin story," in superheroic terms, or a theogony, in divine terms. And that kind of story doesn't involve "I made this roll when I was five years old and this roll when I was seven years old." That kind of backstory doesn't make a good narrative. And it's the effective narrative that brings such a character to life.
Quite a back story for an awesome individual who's a paragon of many different ways should be cool, rather than "correct by population demographic statistical analysis*".

Well IMHO anyway!

*which tend to break at the extreme ends anyway simply by the nature of stats

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-11-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #129
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Game started when they born, so there is quite a bit of story at the moment. At about two or three pages a day, playing from 2015-2016, it almost makes a novel, but the target in the thread is to confirm that the stats are right and, though she might be "super" human, I would like her to br realistic as in the way of what kind of abilities would a one in a billion genius would develop if she gets to study for twelve hours a day :)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #130
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Quite an back story for an awesome individual who's a paragon of many different ways should be cool, rather than "correct by population demographic statistical analysis*".

Well IMHO anyway!

*which tend to break at the extreme ends anyway simply by the nature of stats
She got a cool story, but I need to confirm that her future stats are correct xD