Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Lord Azagthoth

Default Re: Sleeping in Armor

I slept for a week while wearing lots of fur and a chainshirt. The mailcoif and helmet were the first things I took off because it was hindering me to fall asleep. The fur was rather comfortable (it was quite cold outside). The chainmail, although it was very flexible and light, caught several times a few hairs and woke me up.

After a few days, the top side of my shoulders began to ache (the shirt pressed on a seem of my undershirt).

I haven't tried it out in warm waether but the crusader didn't walk around in full armour. Most of the soldier were barely clothed because of the heat.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
I slept for a week while wearing lots of fur and a chainshirt. The mailcoif and helmet were the first things I took off because it was hindering me to fall asleep. The fur was rather comfortable (it was quite cold outside). The chainmail, although it was very flexible and light, caught several times a few hairs and woke me up.

After a few days, the top side of my shoulders began to ache (the shirt pressed on a seem of my undershirt).

I haven't tried it out in warm weather but the crusader didn't walk around in full armour. Most of the soldier were barely clothed because of the heat.
Sorry I may be wrong but that sounds like you weren't wearing an arming garment under the mail (just a under shirt)?

My experience was my shoulders didn't ache particularly, but I did get that floating upwards sensation when I took the mail off eventually
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Sorry I may be wrong but that sounds like you weren't wearing an arming garment under the mail (just a under shirt)?

My experience was my shoulders didn't ache particularly, but I did get that floating upwards sensation when I took the mail off eventually
Yep, just a t-shirt. The fur went over the mailshirt (else it didn't fit).

The floating sensation sounds familiar. Just like you are wearing sandbags the whole day and put them of in the evening. Your legs and arms tend to go up. :)

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG

Last edited by Lord Azagthoth; 12-03-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: additional content
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
The floating sensation sounds familiar. Just like you are wearing sandbags the whole day and put them of in the evening. Your legs and arms tend to go up. :)
I sometimes get that after hiking a bit with 40 plus pounds in my backpack. It's weird feeling tired and simultaneously like I could fly away from being so light.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I agree with that mittens sentiment for games, but I'm pretty sure I would have a tough time sleeping with constricted fingers.
I need to splay my hands to sleep.
I spent most of a year sleeping in carpal tunnel wrist braces before I found out my problem wasn't carpal tunnel. That's just a familiarity issue. It's not a functional ting like acrosome and his neck and head support.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I spent most of a year sleeping in carpal tunnel wrist braces before I found out my problem wasn't carpal tunnel. That's just a familiarity issue. It's not a functional ting like acrosome and his neck and head support.
In games, anyone can get familiar with anything. In reality, we all have limits to our adaptability.
I grind my teeth badly in my sleep, but could never get used to sleeping with mouth guards. It's going to eventually result in tooth loss and dentures.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #27
Gedrin

It seems this is a combination of:

Fit of the armor: Perhaps having the armor custom made or adjusted could help this problem.

Familiarity with the hardship: Armor Familiarity Perk?

Normal Ease of Sleeping: Deep Sleeper solves the problems.

It seems like the sort of problem that could be ameliorated by proper conditioning, training and gear.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #28
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
It seems this is a combination of:

Fit of the armor: Perhaps having the armor custom made or adjusted could help this problem.

Familiarity with the hardship: Armor Familiarity Perk?

Normal Ease of Sleeping: Deep Sleeper solves the problems.

It seems like the sort of problem that could be ameliorated by proper conditioning, training and gear.
Proper conditioning, training, and gear sounds like a perk to me. The various anecdotes we have all been throwing around suggests that if you have any perk that makes armor easier to deal with (Armor Familiarity, Suit Familiarity, Supersuit), any perk that makes you inherently stoic (Patience of Job, Deep Sleeper) or failing any of that, a straight up Rules Exemption perk, you can sleep in armor.

I suspect many of our anecdotes (mine included!) are a combination of not noticing the FP penalty for a short run and some version of Patience of Job or Deep Sleeper being common to this self-reporting set.

And of course, if the OP is in a DF campaign, there is no issue. DF 2 makes it a setting switch, no perk needed.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #29
Victor Maxus

It might be different from person to person. I know for a fact I couldn't even fall asleep in armor unless I was completely exhausted. How do I know this? I can't even fall asleep with socks on my feet, let alone a suit of armor. but others can do it, some are trained to sleep under weird circumstances. Anyone with military experience is trained to sleep in all sort of weird conditions. My brother and father, both 10 years plus in the army and navy can do just that. And in most settings, anyone packing good armor would have military training. However, you would have to consider if training is enough for people like me to over come it.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #30
DanHoward

A lot of people with military experience are capable of sleeping in awkward conditions. The Deep Sleeper Perk seems to model that the best. Any character with Combat Reflexes should probably have Deep Sleeper as well.

Tags
armor, instant armor