Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
CoffeeMan

Default GURPS Hunger Games

I am going to GMing a 2-3 session Hunger Games campaign. I already have the vasic concept that I want for the arena and a few of the mutts. Looking for suggestions.
The arena will be an urban city environment with tall buidings toward the center. Most buildings will have basement levels with access to sewers that run under the streets. At the outer edge of the arena will be a huge electric fence or barrier of some kind.
As the days progress in the games, the Game Makers (played by me) will start flooding the arena. Most of the building will have access to each other via bridges (varying in width but mostly only wide enough for one person to cross at a time). So as the water levels rise, players will be forced to the taller buildings in the center.
Character creation will take place during the first session. Players will have to roll to determine their characters age as well as what district they will be from. I already have most of that sytem figured out, but I am still open to suggestions for that as well. I am mostly just trying to figure out how to build the arena
CoffeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Victor Maxus

Default Re: GURPS Hunger Games

FOXFACE 2016!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Phantasm

One thing you may want to do is to get a map of a city with a tall downtown area and a lot of sprawl, and take one section of that to create a map you can use.

Las Vegas, Philadelphia, and New York City are three that come to mind, though they may be a bit big for an arena.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Yeah, something more the size of Coney Island would probably be better if you want to use a real map. The Game Makers want the kids running into each other a lot, after all.

Regarding bridges from building to building: Why not make them swim?

Additional Suggestion: Rip off that one arena from the books where the only thing that they could eat that wasn't poisoned was each other. That was boss. :]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Libertine

This would be awesome for miniatures. That is all.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
This would be awesome for miniatures. That is all.
Agreed. Sounds like a wargame (a good thing imo). Now go build that terrain! :)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
benz72

Never read the book and barely struggled to make it throughthte first movie.

As for a game there are a few questions I'd ask as a GM;
Can the PCs detect/disable the cameras?
Can the flying delivery vehicles navigate underground in the tunnels?
Can the PCs use the terrain effectively against their opponents? e.g. (block an exit and let the other guy drown)
Can the PCs find/build a raft?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
CoffeeMan

Indeed the books were great; and I thought the second movie was much better than the first.
- I would say that a PC from District 3 (electronics developement district) could disable cameras if they had an appropriate skill. But this would rarely be beneficial to them since it would make the Game Makers mad at them and it would cut that character's TV screen time. Remember if they make "good TV" then their mentors will be able to get more sponsors to donate money for them to receive gifts in the arena (and this will come into play in my campaign)
- I don't think the hoverships can access the tunnels underground, so if anyone dies down there, I will have to think of something else for body retrieval.
- The buildings and bridges will be solid enough that the PCs won't be able to manipulate them for anything, but if they get creative, they might be able to trap someone in a drowning situation.
- There's definitely going to be a raft or something in the game, but whether the PCs can get it before the Career Pack gets it, we will see.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
CoffeeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

Regarding bridges from building to building: Why not make them swim?

Additional Suggestion: Rip off that one arena from the books where the only thing that they could eat that wasn't poisoned was each other. That was boss. :]
If you remember from the second book, Katniss goes on about most tributes come in to the arena not knowing how to swim because they didn't have the advantage of learning in their home district. The District 4 people, definitely. If a player wants to have swimming as a skill, I might make them take unusual background to buy swimming and a few others.

As far as food, I was thinking of having a few buildings on the outskirts that are kinda like a convenience store, but have mutts inside. So to get any food other than stuff provided by the Cornucopia, they would have to fight there way in and out.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Victor Maxus

The books were great, liked the movies too.

FOXFACE 2016!!!!!