Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Victor Maxus

Default Does not stack attack modifier

I want to do a modifier to a toxic attack that works in cycles but does not stack with others using the same attack. That is to say, zombie one bites victim and injects venom and victim, after one hour delay, starts to take damage over six cycles. Zombie two bites same victim a few seconds later, but victim should not suffer the cycle attacks as it is already been delivered by zombie two. HOWEVER, if zombie 2 does bit, let's say three hours later, than victim will extend his once per hour cycle attacks by three.

How would that modifier work?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Faolyn

Default Re: Does not stack attack modifier

I think you'd have to make a new Enhancement for that. Perhaps some variant on Extended Duration. Give it Accessibility, Only when bitten by another zombie, and just handwave that it adds additional cycles. Optionally, make it a variant on the Cumulative enhancement, again, with Only when bitten by another zombie. I have no idea about point costs, though; I'm really bad at that and never bother to price these things when I make monsters.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Victor Maxus

Hand waving may be the route to take. Make it like a 20% limitation or something, since overall, it reduces the effectiveness of the attack. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Maxus View Post
I want to do a modifier to a toxic attack that works in cycles but does not stack with others using the same attack. That is to say, zombie one bites victim and injects venom and victim, after one hour delay, starts to take damage over six cycles. Zombie two bites same victim a few seconds later, but victim should not suffer the cycle attacks as it is already been delivered by zombie two. HOWEVER, if zombie 2 does bit, let's say three hours later, than victim will extend his once per hour cycle attacks by three.

How would that modifier work?
Missing Damage Effect (GURPS Powers, pg 102) is either -10% or -20%, depending on what it does(n't) affect. For what you're describing, I'd say it would be a -20% limitation.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Onset period for the 1 hour delay with Cumulative and a note that duration stacks, not damage. Since rhe onset is fixed, being bitten before damage starts does nothing, but being bitten during the damage cycles would extend the duration, as the effects have already begun.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Onset period for the 1 hour delay with Cumulative and a note that duration stacks, not damage. Since rhe onset is fixed, being bitten before damage starts does nothing, but being bitten during the damage cycles would extend the duration, as the effects have already begun.
If you re-read the OP, you'll not that the duration doesn't stack, it just resets. In his example, the zombie poison has 6 one-hour cycles. If bit again after 3 hours, it adds three more cycles, bringing the remaining cycles back up to six.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Victor Maxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Missing Damage Effect (GURPS Powers, pg 102) is either -10% or -20%, depending on what it does(n't) affect. For what you're describing, I'd say it would be a -20% limitation.
Yeah, this sounds like a good comparison. I have given it a -20% modifier. It seems the best solution. Thanks again everyone.

Tags
missing damage effect, powers