Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
Plane

Default how to use "Alternate Magic Rituals"

This optional rule is found on a box on the upper-right of page 9 of GURPS Magic. As it is listed as an "alternative way" does that mean you don't use the standard table from M8, or do you just use 2/3 of it?

I like this idea where it's ALWAYS better to use footwork/handwork/words (penalties as they are phased out) but entirely replacing the standard "Ritual Magic" seems like it could, aside from reduced ritual requirements, also mean losing the high-skill benefits of reduced casting time and reduced energy cost.

Was AMR only meant to replace the "Ritual" first part of that chart and keep the "Cost" and "Time" notes, or replace all 3 criteria?

"Flexible Rituals" from Thaumatology 37 seems like the same idea? I guess it answers the first part of my question as it says "These modifiers don’t affect energy cost or casting time reductions."

Instead of giving "all wizards more flexibility" maybe the standard chart could be used to denote when a caster actually has the option to take on those penalties to omit elements?

I'm also wondering how using AMR/ rules would affect Magery modifiers from Thaumatology like Extravagant Rituals (T24) or Easy Casting (T28) as well as Thaumatology: Magical Styles' perks (pg 28) of "No Gestures" or "No Incantations".
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: how to use "Alternate Magic Rituals"

If you use those Alternate Rituals rules than the only thing left from the regular rules is energy and time reduction which are as you already found from another book are not affected.
If using these and various modifiers the same applies.
The energy reduction is from knowing a skill sat a certain level, not its effective level after bonuses and penalties (except for Magery).
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate magic rituals