Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #51
jason taylor

Default Re: GURPS Old West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I can so see that. I loved it, though not all of its choices. Still, it is very easy to see why many people would hate it. When you go to the edge, some people will always feel you went too far. Far enough for some will always be too far for others, that's not a slam at you, it's simply a fact about art.
My favorites tend to be Wayney I think. I did like Revenant; the "grey and grey" aspect seemed to reflect real life well.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #52
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
My favorites tend to be Wayney I think.
Wayne's work with Ford is often magnificent.

Have you ever watched Track of the Cat? It's a Robert Mitchum film, you might like it.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-14-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #53
Alden Loveshade

We had a campaign set in the post Civil War 1860s - 1870s. We placed it in an area in California we all knew that I think had been used by Louis L'Amour.

I also ran Old West at gaming conventions in the same period and era. Then I ran modern games with descendants of those Old West characters who had similar personalities (the incompetent deputy's descendant was a nerd, the fortune teller's descendant studied psychic phenomenon, the gunslinger's descendant was a member of a biker gang, etc.)

As somebody said earlier, if you go to somewhere around 1890, you're pretty much getting into "the Old West is dying" territory. Go to the early 1860s and it's the Civil War.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #54
hal

While I know how difficult it is to score a copy of Sunset starring James Garner and Bruce Willis as well as Malcom McDowell - was a story about Tom Mix (the actor played by Actor Bruce Willis) who is contracted to play Wyatt Earp (played by James Garner for at least the second time around - see Hour of the Gun) - they're playing in a time period that is set in the 1920's. Yet, the whole thing has an overlay of a Western, right down to menacing Villains, Crooked Sheriffs (Cops) and riding horses - not to mention saving damsels in distress and shooting sixguns during a show down.

A little Tongue in Cheek perhaps, but the Western is about Right and Wrong and the hero having to defend the right to RIGHT with his honor and his gun. There are other aspects to a western to be sure, but it is surprising to see old west motifs stolen and utilized in modern stories.

PS - the one inside running joke in the movie was "Give or take a Lie or Two". It had the earmarks of "Charming" that only James Garner could have pulled off.

Between Support your Local Sheriff and Support your Local Gunfighter and Skin Game - I've always enjoyed those kinds of Westerns. I do draw the line at "The Shakiest Gun in the West" however. ;)

Now if I could only score some of the older WILD BILL HICKCOCK with Andy Devine and Guy Madison.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #55
Astromancer

Good call, Sunset is based (very distantly) on the real meeting between Earp and Mix. And, as I pointed out earlier, Hollywood routinely set Westerns in the present until WWII. There was a village of Native Americans (most of whom tried to live in a more or less traditional style) near Hollywood in the 1912-1930 period. William S. Hart the first Cowboy Movie Star, spoke Native American languages more fluently than he spoke English. Some Native American groups claimed he was initiated into their nation. Hollywood is where it is because it was part of the Wild West and somewhat lawless.

Oh, if you want a copy, look here.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
west