Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Parabola

Default Re: My Book Recommendations

I just started reading IN a couple of weeks or so ago. I'll try to keep this post "review" oriented.

I would definitely agree with you that trying to read the basic book cover to cover was a mistake as one finds himself longing to get through the game system parts and back to some background. I found the choir and band and Arch-Angel/ Demon Prince descriptions as well as the songs to be the parts I gravitated to the most. As you said, it needs to be treated more as a resource book than something you read all of. And yes, no offense, sorry, apology ahead of time, but I was surprised at how disorganized it is even in the character creation process. I've started reading the Gurps version and reading it is actually making a lot of things from the non-Gurps version more clear and understandable. I personally think doing the setting in Gurps would result inevitably in some things that don't belong in the story setting but its a helpful guide.

I am currently reading the Ethereal Player's Guide as the pagan gods are my primary interest. A lot of fascinating background and exploration of the dream world. I sort of wish it just explored the concept in its own right with little mention of angels or demons but then, those are the core concepts the game revolves around. Still the information from the Guide could work independently if a GM wanted it to. I don't think I've ever seen a gaming book before that explores how a god might develop and become a god. Well, there was "The Primal Order" but the EPG presents things in a way that feels dramatic and mystical. From a dream fragment to the 'personification' of a concept through different possible stages and, if it survives, that dream could become a god.

I've got several other of the IN books too (Angelic and Infernal Player's Guides, Heaven and Hell: Revelations and the Reliquarium) but I can't say much as I haven't given them more than a cursory look so far. I've read the descriptions of Thor's hammer in the Reliquarium so many times I can quote what it has from memory and virtually quote Thor's 'character sheet' but I haven't read the overall product yet.
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta