Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Shiftkitty

Location: A little south of Heaven and a little north of Hell.
Default Can Celestials Have Kids?

I read the sidebar "Sex and the Single Celestial", and although nothing stops an amorous couple from knocking boots, what about reproduction? If so, where does the kid's soul come from? (Just a curious question posed by one of my players when I asked how they liked the game so far.)
Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Can Celestials Have Kids?

Grigori (and presumably Skulkers, Fallen Grigori), are able to sire/bear children in much the same way as a mortal. All other Celestials need the Celestial Song of Fruition* to do so. In both cases, on a CD of 5-6 for angels or 3-6 for demons the offspring is mutated in some visible fashion. Otherwise, they're apparently normal but have a higher than usual chance of 6+ Forces and being Symphonically aware.

*An Angel can get called before the Inquisition for even knowing this Song, let alone using it. Demons aren't forbidden from knowing it, but getting anyone to teach it to you is difficult, and finding a use for it that your Superior will approve of even more so, so most don't bother.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Shiftkitty

I always has the impression that the mutation thing was referring to only between Celestials and Mortals. It's for Celelstial-Celestial as well, then?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftkitty View Post
I always has the impression that the mutation thing was referring to only between Celestials and Mortals. It's for Celelstial-Celestial as well, then?
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Celestial reproduction works rather differently, and Vessels are not interfertile, no matter what Song you use. When angels want to reproduce, 2-6 angels donate 3-9 Forces, and with the assistance of a Superior or an angel with Eli's Midwife Attunement these Forces are bound into a Reliever or fledgling Angel with traits akin to its parents. Demons could probably do the same, but they don't, and their Superiors probably wouldn't help them anyway.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Shiftkitty

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! I know somewhere in the book is a little flavor text about a demon-tyke asking his daddy if Angels could get into Hell and the father answers that only Angels can go to Heaven, but anybody could get into Hell. The image of Demonic domestic bliss tickled my funny bone!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftkitty View Post
Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! I know somewhere in the book is a little flavor text about a demon-tyke asking his daddy if Angels could get into Hell and the father answers that only Angels can go to Heaven, but anybody could get into Hell. The image of Demonic domestic bliss tickled my funny bone!
I'd be interested to know where that one was; I thought I'd been over the books pretty thoroughly and I don't recall anything like that.

Tags
celestials