Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
primanator

Default Judo throw

I was wondering, could you use Special Setup to do a Judo Throw after, say, a Broadsword Parry?
It would represent a sweep methinks, and although definitely realistically possible, but would likely be quite overpowered IMO.
What say the hivemind?
primanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Judo throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by primanator View Post
I was wondering, could you use Special Setup to do a Judo Throw after, say, a Broadsword Parry?
It would represent a sweep methinks, and although definitely realistically possible, but would likely be quite overpowered IMO.
What say the hivemind?
Yes, you can do that. It's a Technique Adaptation perk, effectively. My Dungeon Fantasy character uses that (Judo Throw defaults to Axe Parry).

It's less overpowered than you'd think. I've been playing the guy for a while, I used it two or three times, none terribly successfully.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

If you can successfully use the Judo throw ability, you could have just hit the guy with your weapon. Generally but not always, hitting the guy with your weapon is a better plan.

It's a nifty ability for high skill but low strength weapon users, especially staff and spearmen, or against heavily armored foes. But I agree with DouglasCole (I play in the same game as his character with this ability): it's not overpowered. Most of the time when he does it, I find myself thinking "couldn't you have just killed the guy instead of knocking him over?"
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If you can successfully use the Judo throw ability, you could have just hit the guy with your weapon. Generally but not always, hitting the guy with your weapon is a better plan.

It's a nifty ability for high skill but low strength weapon users, especially staff and spearmen, or against heavily armored foes. But I agree with DouglasCole (I play in the same game as his character with this ability): it's not overpowered. Most of the time when he does it, I find myself thinking "couldn't you have just killed the guy instead of knocking him over?"
Well, if you're better at knocking him over than hitting him with the axe, or if he's heavily armored, knocking him to the ground might be a great idea. He's fairly vulnerable and less dangerous on the ground at your feet. As was mentioned this is particularly apropos for someone with a crushing weapon with a good sweep- like a staff.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

I agree that just axin' the face is easier. But there are situations that warrant it's use, and it's only a single point. I'd say well worth it.

Plus, it allows you to play combat stylisitically.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Well, if you're better at knocking him over than hitting him with the axe, or if he's heavily armored, knocking him to the ground might be a great idea. He's fairly vulnerable and less dangerous on the ground at your feet. As was mentioned this is particularly apropos for someone with a crushing weapon with a good sweep- like a staff.
Mark's thing is efficiency. My character doesnt always go for the kill...well, that was before I understood the nature of the campaign. Anyway, the characters are at a power level where "cant crack the armor" isnt really an issue, or hasnt been yet. Since(iirc) JT after a parry is an attack/parry resolution, there isnt much you can do with JT that's more desirable than (say) 2d+2 (2) cut.

In short: use judo throw if:

-your foe is annoyingly mobile and putting him on the ground solves that
-his defenses rely on being standing. Of course, sweep is perhaps better for this.
-you cant crack his armor the regular way, but you can with a weapon using an AoA . . . And the turn after a JT with Stun is a good time for that.

Note that high ST and LOW HT is the sweet foe for this. Better still if you have formed a battle line and have friends to whom you can toss a guy. The -4 for lying down gives a nice opportunity for a dogpile.

Last important point: "just kill the guy more!"is a fine DF plan, but gratuitous murder may be frowned on, and for that grappling works great.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I agree that just axin' the face is easier. But there are situations that warrant it's use, and it's only a single point. I'd say well worth it.

Plus, it allows you to play combat stylisitically.
Yes. This seems to annoy some; I find it fun.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Gigermann

A related question:
In my attempts to recreate moves from Assassin's Creed 2, I've encountered what one might describe as an "aggressive sweep"—that is, hitting someone (doing damage) in the knee/leg in such a way that it sweeps them as well.

Special Setup for Sweep? Different Technique (Aggressive Sweep)? Just a side-effect of being hit in the legs (and not "intentional")?
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
A related question:
In my attempts to recreate moves from Assassin's Creed 2, I've encountered what one might describe as an "aggressive sweep"—that is, hitting someone (doing damage) in the knee/leg in such a way that it sweeps them as well.

Special Setup for Sweep? Different Technique (Aggressive Sweep)? Just a side-effect of being hit in the legs (and not "intentional")?
This seems like a nice place for a house-rule, where strikes to the legs can cause a DX check to see if the victim kneels or falls. The sweep move is explicitly non-damaging as written.