Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Near superhuman talents

Give heroes a fighting chance by adding talents at the edge of human ability.

IQ 10 Resolve(3) This character has trained his mind to resist foreign influences and rolls one less die on any IQ roll to resist magical control or disbelieve an illusion. This isn't alertness so it has no effect against Unnoticeability. Doubled cost for wizards because their training is all about opening their minds to the cosmos. Characters with this talent have a mutual minus one to reactions with wizards.

IQ 10 Hardy(3) This character has trained up their fortitude and so rolls one less die on ST rolls to resist poisons and environmental hazards. Prerequisite: ST 12 or being a Halfling.

IQ 11 Enhanced Dodge(2) This character may take a Dodge action even when engaged (but not in HTH), their dodges are effective against all weapons and other melee and ranged attacks, missile and thrown spells and cause all attackers to add two dice (rather than one) on attack rolls to hit them. Does not stack with any other defensive talent. Prerequisite: Acrobatics.

etc.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Near superhuman talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Give heroes a fighting chance by adding talents at the edge of human ability.

IQ 10 Resolve(3) This character has trained his mind to resist foreign influences and rolls one less die on any IQ roll to resist magical control or disbelieve an illusion. This isn't alertness so it has no effect against Unnoticeability. Doubled cost for wizards because their training is all about opening their minds to the cosmos. Characters with this talent have a mutual minus one to reactions with wizards.

IQ 10 Hardy(3) This character has trained up their fortitude and so rolls one less die on ST rolls to resist poisons and environmental hazards. Prerequisite: ST 12 or being a Halfling.

IQ 11 Enhanced Dodge(2) This character may take a Dodge action even when engaged (but not in HTH), their dodges are effective against all weapons and other melee and ranged attacks, missile and thrown spells and cause all attackers to add two dice (rather than one) on attack rolls to hit them. Does not stack with any other defensive talent. Prerequisite: Acrobatics.
I like these, though I would implement them differently. For example, I have something very similar to your 'Enhanced Dodge' as one of the Powers for my Mystic Monk portfolio. I think 'Resolve' and 'Hardy' would make good Powers as well... maybe as part of a Mage Hunter and Wild Warden power-sets.

As a talent, however, I think 'Resolve' should be higher IQ than 10... 12 or 13 seems more appropriate.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Skarg

In my original TFT campaign, which got into some power creep, I used the Defensive Quickness talents from Interplay, though even with the power creep, hardly anyone could get them.

When Rick was running the Thail campaign, he was using a set of rules that also had advanced combat talents that could add dice to the to-hit roll of the talented target, which were somewhat easier to get.

This version is rather easier to get than either of those. It also has similar requirements to Weapon Expert, so three's a clear uber design there for stacking those... you might want to not let them stack.

The main thing I see from playing with such abilities, is that it adds and extremely valuable ability (the ability to not get easily hit by everyone with a competent adjDX), which most people otherwise have to spend their action to get, or have a Blur spell cast on them.

It's a really big deal, and makes people with these talents (or with a higher level of such talents than their opponents) materially superior, in one chunk. It's like gaining about 3.5 (average on 1d6) in a valuable attribute most people don't have at all. And so there is created a game of power levels, measured by how many you can stack.

My suggestion would be that unless you like that chunky uber effect, to instead design something that comes 1 point at a time, rather than 3.5 points at a time, and that you look at what you want the maximum level of it to be, and how hard you want that to be to obtain, what it ought to require, and balance it against other things fighters can do with their XP.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #4
Tywyll

I like the idea of Enhanced Dodge, though with the caveat that it wouldn't boost you to 5 dice, just to four.

Alternatively, what about a talent that gave you a -1 to be hit (like the weapon expert talents) and a Master version that gave you a -2? This would be in the old system with higher attributes, not the Legacy one.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote