Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2018, 05:13 AM   #31
Gollum

Default Re: New category for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I don't think it's harder to convince people to play GURPS than BRP or SW. I constantly see people who have no connection to me flirting with the idea of GURPS, but only rarely BRP or SW. I think your argument proceeds from a false premise.
Maybe ... It may also come from the fact that BRP has a very good reputation in France, why GURPS tend to have a bad one. It may be completely different in the USA.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
mehrkat

I just openly admit that GURPS complexity is front loaded to the new players then strongly suggest they let me create their first character based on a description and some back and forth alteration. I also tell them thati use a "you describe it I translate it to GURPS lingo and respond appropriately until they want to look things up.

In short I let them play early and bring put the effort in later.

For new GMs suggesting starting I recommend using GURPS lite and add in rules as they want them but only in small chunks and don't worry about getting it perfect worry about giving a fun environment your players will enjoy. I also recommend "how to be a GURPS gm"* as a required read.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #33
RedMattis

More than anything I'd like to see big 'bestiary'-type books. Not just 'oh there is a bunch of templates and characters in this book', but a book dedicated to characters and especially creatures with stats, descriptions and stuff like suggestions for how to power them up/down to fit them in different settings or power levels. Oh, and NPC-style; weapons and suggested combat maneuvers on the paper, but not a bunch of excess data like their skill in housekeeping.

Basically something like
Bestiary:
Dragons, raptors, wyverns, sharks, alligators, etc. Giant/dire versions of animals, like rats, bears, snakes, birds, octupii, etc.

Monsters:
Mimics, giant amoebae, nanobot swarms, haunts, and the kinds of stuff you'd find in a horror book or D&D bestiary designed to kill players.

Humanoids:
Human soldiers from various eras, orc warbands, goblins, trolls, cyborgs, werewolves, giants, various golems, cyborgs, vampires, demons, angels, etc.

Really, just books with easy to reference templates for various creatures. As fun as creating new creatures for a setting is, I'd still like to be able to fall back on a book, or just something to steal ideas from when designing something semi-original. :)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
More than anything I'd like to see big 'bestiary'-type books.

Basically something like
Bestiary:...

Monsters:...

Humanoids:...

The Bestiary is filled in some part by GURPS Animalia

There was a thread on templates for soldiers and warriors a long while back, but I'm not sure where it went, and I'm not sure that I've used it, so it may not have been that good.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote