Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Edenar

Default Final Fantasy XIV Scholar- GURPS Character?

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster with a question only you guys can answer. I've found some awesome advice on how to create some characters in the past (Power Rangers and Kamen Riders mainly), however now I'm in kind of a pickle creating a character I have no idea where to begin with.

I'm creating a character based on the Scholar from FFXIV- a Healer/Support character that can summon two different faeries to aid them in battle by offering additional heals or buffs, depending on the summon. Here's a wiki article pertaining to what Scholars are/what they do.

I'm not too familiar with the GURPS system and since the point value is pretty high (850), I wanna know some ideas or things that more experienced players like you would do if you made this character.

Thanks for your time, and if you need more info I'd gladly supply it!

TLDR: Making a FFXIV class based character in GURPS, need help doing so. Much appreciated. :P
Edenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Final Fantasy XIV Scholar- GURPS Character?

Looks interesting. She has a couple powers that simultaneously heal wounds and protect the target. Those could be handled with Healing linked to Affliction: Ablative DR. Curing ailments is also an application of Healing. For a non-Powers-based approach (or to supplement her Powers) Esoteric Medicine would be appropriate.

The best fit for Sacred Soil may be an area-effect Affliction: Injury Tolerance. Or maybe just Affliction: Extra Hit Points, making injuries relatively less severe.

The faeries can be built as Allies with Summonable and possibly Minion (if they are absolutely obedient). If they can't both be summoned at the same time, they may be Alternative Abilities to each other (Powers pg 11) meaning the cheaper one drops to 1/5 cost. The healing faerie has Healing, and powers to grant Regeneration, Magic Resistance (Improved) and/or DR (Magic attacks only). The support faerie's Silence ability could be Neutralize (Magic). Increasing the speed of party spell-casters could be Affliction: Compartmentalized Mind, while increasing their "skill" speed (which I presume means special physical moves) sounds like Affliction: Extra Attack.

Anyways, I hope that's enough to get you started. Sounds like a fun character!
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
gilbertocarlos

850 points sounds too high if the GM is not experienced.

About your character, he has 2 summonable allies and the healing power(or spell), anyway, even taking the best modifiers you still have hundreds of points left for other things, so, I suggest thinking on more abilities to spend all those points.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Edenar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
850 points sounds too high if the GM is not experienced.
nobody needs to call my gm's experience into question. its a sequel board, so point values are fine....

Quote:
About your character, he has 2 summonable allies and the healing power(or spell), anyway, even taking the best modifiers you still have hundreds of points left for other things, so, I suggest thinking on more abilities to spend all those points.
i kinda figured as much, that's why i'm opening this up to other players to offer recommendations...
Edenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
dataweaver

Initial thoughts:

Since you’re dealing with a fantasy world with a class system, I’d start by going to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy as a starting point. FFXIV’s Scholar Job is practiced by the Arcanist, which in turn is one of three Disciples of Magic classes; so you’ll want to look at Dungeon Fantasy’s magic user classes. I’m assuming that “Scholar” isn’t a horrendous misnomer; so you’ll want to look at the Scholars from the third(?) book of the Dungeon Fantasy series. FFXIV’s Scholars are summoners; so take a look at the “Summoners” book in the series. Between these two or three sources, you should be able to cobble together a respectable number of points worth of character traits.

This might also be a good reason to pull out Template Toolkit 1: creating character templates corresponding to the FFXIV classes and jobs would be an interesting exercise, keeping in mind that FFXIV, like most (all?) MMORPGs, focuses on combat traits first, support traits second, and social traits not at all.

Tags
ffxiv, final fantasy, gurps, sch, scholar