Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
hal

Default Mapping High Guard Drive tech to GURPS Traveller

Hello Folks,
I recall bringing it to the attention of the powers that be, that Meson Gun technology per the original Traveller rules occurs at Traveller Tech level 11, which per the side bar on page 107, makes it late TL 9 weaponry. GURPS TRAVELLER seems to have made it so that you can not have Meson spinal weapons until TL 10.

What I don't recall however, is ever catching the rule that pertains to jump technology in GURPS TRAVELLER as compared against High Guard.

High Guard lists the Jump technology as being:

Jump - TL

1 - 9
2 - 11
3 - 12
4 - 13
5 - 14
6 - 15

A strict translation in GURPS (based upon page 107) would be:

Jump - TL
1 - Early 9
2 - Late 9
3 - Early 10
4 - Late 10
5 - 11
6 - 12

Yet, per sidebar page 157, it reads:

First, decide on the intended jump number - how many parsecs the ship can jump. This cannot exceed a maximum of jump-2 at TL9, jump-3 at TL 10, Jump-4 at TL11, or jump-6 at TL12.

I concede the possibility that SJGames changed this over and above how GDW had originally specified how the tech level changes were to have been in the classic Traveller rules. We already have evidence of the fact that in GDW's version of Traveller, all of the Manuever Drive technological wrinkles had been worked out in the space of three tech levels, and that Manuever drive capabilities of 5 G's had already become common before the Jump-1 drives had even been invented.

So, the question becomes one of "Was this an intentional change from GDW's version of technological history, or was this just a minor glitch?"

Someone made a point of asking if various "Adventure Class" ships from the days of Fasa had been converted over for use with GURPS TRAVELLER, so I started to work on converting a Zhodani ship over for use with GURPS - which was when I noted the change in Jump drive limits for GURPS versus GDW...

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Pomphis

Default Re: Mapping High Guard Drive tech to GURPS Traveller

You might wish to report it as an errata. GT:Starships p.37 has J-4 at late TL10 and J-5 at TL11.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
You might wish to report it as an errata. GT:Starships p.37 has J-4 at late TL10 and J-5 at TL11.
Somehow, I suspect it is a tad too late to report it as errata, now that they've redone the PDF version of GURPS TRAVELLER and it looks like GURPS TRAVELLER for 3rd edition is no longer supported with new material. It almost looks like Interstellar Wars is the last word on GURPS TRAVELLER these days

:(

Having seen Mongoose Traveller (not impressed with it to be honest) and T5 (a wee bit confusing to say the least, but I'm only 1 day into reading it at present), one could almost long for the day when new GURPS TRAVELLER products might be produced.

At any rate, I just wondered what the thinking was behind it all, and the GURPS STARSHIPS book explains just that - that it was an error for which it was corrected in later books. The only thing not corrected in GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS is when [Meson] Spinal Mounts were introduced - but, that's a minor issue really. All I need to do is change when they are introduced, and perhaps modify the GMV program to include earlier TL versions of the Meson spinal mounts.

The one minor problem is that the Jump-4 ceiling is hard coded into the program for a TL 11 starship. Hmmm. I wonder if GURPS VEHICLES for use with the Traveller rules, incorporated the newer changes or not. Sounds like I should dust that program off and have a go at it again ;)

Thank you for your comment Pomphis.

:)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11

Last edited by hal; 06-06-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added [Meson] to original post
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Somehow, I suspect it is a tad too late to report it as errata, now that they've redone the PDF version of GURPS TRAVELLER and it looks like GURPS TRAVELLER for 3rd edition is no longer supported with new material. It almost looks like Interstellar Wars is the last word on GURPS TRAVELLER these days
Well the Daily Ill today made a point of mentioning the 3e Classic, but not the 4e GTIW.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
It almost looks like Interstellar Wars is the last word on GURPS TRAVELLER these days
)
"Last word" implies a lack of support for Interstellar Wars too. That's correct as far as i can tell.

About the only product I could see happening in the current climate is a GT/Spaceships:Ships of the Third Imperium pdf.