Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Increased Life Support (Radioactive)? How radioactive am I? Am I immune to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yeah, I think you mean Dissipating.
Which still has no effect on a 1 point attack, what with minimum damage being 1 and all.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
Anaraxes

Default Re: Increased Life Support (Radioactive)? How radioactive am I? Am I immune to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Which still has no effect on a 1 point attack, what with minimum damage being 1 and all.
I wouldn't allow Dissipating on a base 1-point attack, instead just having the player buy a smaller AE or Cone instead, rather than have the attack round to zero at some distance inside its nominal area.

It's not obvious to me that the rule about minimum one point of damage from a result that penetrates DR, yet is reduced to a fraction by a wounding modifier, is meant to apply to an attack that's reduced to 1 point before DR or wounding modifiers.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I wouldn't allow Dissipating on a base 1-point attack, instead just having the player buy a smaller AE or Cone instead, rather than have the attack round to zero at some distance inside its nominal area.

It's not obvious to me that the rule about minimum one point of damage from a result that penetrates DR, yet is reduced to a fraction by a wounding modifier, is meant to apply to an attack that's reduced to 1 point before DR or wounding modifiers.
Minimum damage is 1 point, except for Crushing. This means that 1d-4 still has a minimum of 1 point of damage, despite rolling -2 being a possibility.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Minimum damage is 1 point, except for Crushing.
I didn't think you meant that rule, because it's even less obvious to me that the basic "Damage Roll" section applies to a constant rad exposure with a fixed value, with no rolling involved. Nor does it suggest to me that a rule that calls for a roll with a minus not go negative is equivalent to putting a floor on all damage and methods for calculation, such as one point being divided to a fraction by range and rounding down.

Would you say that all creatures at any distance from even the tiniest explosion all take a minimum one point of damage? It's not at all hard to reduce the damage to under one die, and if you roll before division, still not hard to reduce damage to below 1 point.

In this case, we're talking about radiation with Dissipation. If the source is 1 rad / hour, and it Dissipates, then two hexes away it's 0.5 rad / hour and four hexes away it's 0.25 rad / hour. But it will never go to zero, even for victims on the other side of the planet -- or solar system. Rounding down seems like a reasonable way to calculate a limit on the effective area. It also fits the rule on B9 about rounding combat effects down (with injury as a specific example).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dependency, increased life support, radiation, radiation protection, regeneration