Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
Cedric

Default Cold War Spaceship Builds

Howdy. I'm trying to set up a game that simulates the Space Race from the early 1950's into mid 21st century, maybe a bit beyond. Originally I was going to use my old copy of 2300AD Naval Architect Manual but it's a very buggy rules set. I was just given a copy of GURPS Space, but I'm not really familiar with it. Would it be a good rules set for what I'm trying for or would another system be better suited?
Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Cold War Spaceship Builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
I was just given a copy of GURPS Space, but I'm not really familiar with it. Would it be a good rules set for what I'm trying for or would another system be better suited?
Which edition of GURPS Space? If it's the most recent one, I'm afraid it won't be particularly useful for building spaceships at all, as it has no spaceship design system. The 4th Edition books you want if you're building TL 7-8 spaceships are probably going to be Spaceships 1 for the basic spaceship design system, and Spaceships 7. The latter, while mostly devoted to more unusual technology and magic and such, also has a few add-ons to the basic system that you probably want for lower-TL spaceships.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Cedric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Which edition of GURPS Space? If it's the most recent one, I'm afraid it won't be particularly useful for building spaceships at all, as it has no spaceship design system.
Nope, its 3rd Edition. There's some nice stuff in it, but its a little thin on shipbuilding and I'll have to do a lot of house rule fill-ins, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to. I'll ask around and see if anybody I know has a copy of Spaceships 1.

Spaceships 7? Zombies and space whales? Heh. Okay. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
Michael Thayne

I love the Spaceships series but be warned that at TL7-TL8, if both sides use sensible tactics, the result is pretty much mutually assured destruction. "Sensible tactics" in this case mostly means spamming attacks from relatively small ballistic weapons, primarily from SM+4 major batteries. (Check out Spaceships 4 for rules for small spacecraft.)

At TL9 the tactics don't change much but point-defense lasers make space combat somewhat more survivable.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

The tactics of TL9+ start to favor lasers, missile drones, and point defense drones as the spacecraft scale up in size. At SM+15, it makes sense to have 10,000 point defense drones, 10,000 missile drones, and a couple of 1 TJ lasers to chew up the enemy from 30,000 miles away.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
YankeeGamer

Spaceships 7 includes rules for mini systems and oversized systems. That makes it worthwhile right tehre.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Spaceships 7? Zombies and space whales? Heh. Okay. We'll see how that goes.
Mostly, I recommend it for just a few of the systems. It's got rules for helicoptor rotors, some TL 7 jet engines that aren't in Spaceships 1, and rules for small upper stages, all of which I think could be useful when designing TL 7 or 8 spaceships and high-altitude aircraft. If you don't want to shell out for it, you can probably make do with just Spaceships 1, and Spaceships 4 as Michael Thayne mentioned, for the rules for SM +4 ships.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
Cedric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
...and Spaceships 7.
So, my buddy's e-book of SpSh-1 was corrupted, but he still had SpSh-7.
I am ashamed for having doubted. SpHs-7 is packed with usable stuff!
Some of its over the time-limit, but plenty good for a later-era game like duplicating tech from 2001/2010 Space Odyssey or Space 1999.

I know one other guy that may have it. Otherwise, time start saving up or taking donations.

Any other game systems that I might use to graft in some additional tech and mechanics?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #9
PTTG

My big advice for spaceship combat is think very carefully about the situations and strategy of space combat first.

Few situations are going to call for both sides to build massive space fleets while knowing full well that they'll mutually annihilate. More likely, they'll both try to do something in particular.

If one side can militarize orbit first (even by a matter of hours, if it matters,) the other can likely be locked out of space... unless both sides have multiple bases throughout the solar system. In that case, expect blockades and negotiation while fleets reposition.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:30 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
my buddy's e-book of SpSh-1 was corrupted . . .
If he has a Warehouse 23 account and his purchase was associated with that, he can download a clean copy.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote