Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
Kax

Default Re: How easy is it to tell combat maneuvers apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That sounds sort of like taking Wait maneuvers.

Exactly, that's the idea. Wait and Evaluate manoeuvres built into the resolution system. There's a few games that do that.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Kax

Quote:
If using the custom rule where characters need a combat skill at DX to be able to do certain maneuvers, it might be okay to also require that to recognize them. I'm not sure I could tell a Defensive Attack apart from a normal Attack, especially since people can opt to make normal attacks at lower ST too.

Watch any HEMA or fencing or unarmed combat demo or training videos; you'll pick it up in no time, and without learning the skill itself. :P

To recognise it in a combat situation, a Per-based combat skill roll is entirely appropriate. Just watching, the same roll but at +10 for a stress-free environment and modified by range.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #13
Plane

If I watched enough videos, maybe I'd have 1 point in the 'Combat Art' version of the skill?

Even though actual combat skill defaults at something like -2 to the art version, a +10 for stress-free observation would certainly compensate
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
Black Leviathan

From an out of game perspective; a defensive stance has your weapon in position to stop a blow, a ready or attacking stance has your weapon cocked back to commit to a blow. They look very different. Also more subtly but noticeable, a defensive stance but's the body over the rear foot, ready to retreat, an offensive stance puts the body over the forward foot, ready to lean into the attack. It can be more difficult to tell the difference with a pole weapon as a lot of the offensive and defensive stances are identical. With a quarter staff your offensive and defensive stances are basically the same, however, if you've ever fought against someone with a staff you can still see from the posture if they're prepared for an attack or a defense based on body language and attitude.

An all-out attack looks very different than an attack. Imagine if you will striking a target with as many forceful sure attacks as you can in 30 seconds, then picture making twice as many strikes in that time. The frantic energy of that kind of offensive isn't difficult to picture and it would be pretty obvious in a melee as well.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Your example of All-Out Defense vs Wait is easy; Wait isn't defensive, it's a combat-ready posture that's ready for an opening. Very easy to tell the difference.
If you Wait, you are still able to use your active defenses.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
From an out of game perspective; a defensive stance has your weapon in position to stop a blow, a ready or attacking stance has your weapon cocked back to commit to a blow.
I've fenced competitively, and if you were doing either of those you'd go nowhere quickly. I think having your weapon cocked to commit is the definition of a Telegraphic attack.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #17
Kax

Quote:
If I watched enough videos, maybe I'd have 1 point in the 'Combat Art' version of the skill?

Even though actual combat skill defaults at something like -2 to the art version, a +10 for stress-free observation would certainly compensate

You've spent enough time to work off the Familiarity penalty, that's all. :)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
If you Wait, you are still able to use your active defenses.

Didn't say you couldn't. :) That would be one of the manoeuvres 'I'm having a coffee, go away', or 'Charge!'.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Didn't say you couldn't. :) That would be one of the manoeuvres 'I'm having a coffee, go away', or 'Charge!'.
So how does being ready to defend look different than being ready to defend?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #20
seycyrus

This whole discussion also begs the question... what about the combatant who is trained to disguise his maneuver as something else?
seycyrus is online now   Reply With Quote