Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
Kax

Default Re: Using Telekinesis to fly, and for defenses?

First: Psychokinesis (Basic pp256), then Telekinesis (Basic pp92), then Telekinesis (Powers pp82, especially the Alternatives section).

* ST=TK level.
* Max range 10 yd unless you modify it with enhancements.
* Move the object but not manipulate its parts, unless you modify TK with enhancements. At ST 14 (from TK 14) you aren't going to move very fast (Move 14 but reduced by encumbrance level for ST 14 and your total weight).
* Requires concentration for any task, so you can't do anything else except a single aspect of TK. Unless you take Compartmentalised Mind (Powers only).
* Anywhere it says to make a roll your Psychokinesis Talent adds to the roll.
* There is no listed defense ability in the Basic book apart from TK vs TK on ST checks.

The descriptions in Telekinesis in the Basic book are pretty clear on how to do stuff.

If your Supers universe has Power Parries, use those rules as written taking into account the maximum range.

Power Parries are just Power vs. Power, with no distinction on what they are as long they are capable of interacting with each other.

Note: simplest use of TK vs someone trying to punch you: pick him up 5 yd away and turn him away from you.

Last edited by Kax; 03-24-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Kax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

I don't see that anyone has mentioned the Psionic Power supplement.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
Boge

I should specify she only has the Telekinesis advantage on B92. She doesn't have any TK Grab, TK Punch, or anything else related.

Are those like pieces of Telekinesis that you could buy separately rather than getting Telekinesis as a whole, or are those required in order to do those maneuvers with Telekinesis?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Are those like pieces of Telekinesis that you could buy separately rather than getting Telekinesis as a whole, or are those required in order to do those maneuvers with Telekinesis?
The former, basically. Psionic Powers splits Telekinesis into several parts, in order to better replicate the source material. Though note that some of the things labeled "TK" in Psionic Powers are actually built on other advantages - TK Bullet, for example, is based on Innate Attack, not Telekinesis. Check the "Statistics" section of each ability - if it lists Telekinesis as the advantage it's built with, then Telekinesis can probably do it, though it might need modifiers. If it lists something else, Telekinesis probably either can't do it, or doesn't do it as effectively.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
Kax

Quote:
I should specify she only has the Telekinesis advantage on B92. She doesn't have any TK Grab, TK Punch, or anything else related.

The Telekinsis power in the Basic book includes being able to punch and grapple. Centre column.

Psionic Powers adds some extra Psychokinesis powers and techniques that might be useful. But like buying powers as I noted above, that's not inherently part of having TK on its own unless you break it up.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Boge

Okay, thank you. It's becoming more clear now.

She also uses Karate. If she parries an attack, does she get the bonuses of Karate and penalties like two parries, or retreat bonuses? What about sacrificial defenses with her telekinesis?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
Kax

Quote:
Okay, thank you. It's becoming more clear now.

She also uses Karate. If she parries an attack, does she get the bonuses of Karate and penalties like two parries, or retreat bonuses? What about sacrificial defenses with her telekinesis?

She's either using Karate or Telekinesis
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #18
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Ultimately, it's up to the GM whether or not a character can use an unarmed skill like Karate to attack with TK, instead of just straight IQ. If it is allowed, however, I think the bonuses of Karate should apply, where they make sense. So extra parries by using two "hands" and sacrificial defenses seem okay. However, I wouldn't allow retreat bonuses, because you're not retreating, the TK "hands" are, and that's probably not what the attacker is aiming at in the first place.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #19
Boge

I was under the impression that whatever you did with your telekinesis acted as your own skills, like lock-picking, pickpocket, throwing, etc. Is that not the case?

If she "attacks" with telekinesis, what skill or stat does it typically go off to determine success? If she can use her DX based combat roll, does she get the damage bonuses as well? (+2 per die for Karate above DX level)

Would defenses be the same way? I'm still getting mixed answers on whether it's even possible to defend.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Ultimately, it's up to the GM whether or not a character can use an unarmed skill like Karate to attack with TK, instead of just straight IQ. If it is allowed, however, I think the bonuses of Karate should apply, where they make sense. So extra parries by using two "hands" and sacrificial defenses seem okay. However, I wouldn't allow retreat bonuses, because you're not retreating, the TK "hands" are, and that's probably not what the attacker is aiming at in the first place.

You'd need to apply Power modifiers for using a different stat and also allowing the special effects of the Karate skill--this is allowing more than one action a turn.

Better modelled by using a DR (Force Field, Physical Only) with the special effect of 'TK parries'.