Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
coronatiger

Default Skills with encumbrance pentalties

I had trouble finding the total penalty for an Acrobatic Stand while carrying the weapon of a SM+2 demon during our last session, and instead of halting combat so we could look up the rules, I made the roll thinking that the exact penalty didn't matter if I rolled sufficiently high or low. I rolled 10 under my Acrobatics skill, so even with -6 for Acrobatic Stand and -4 for double medium encumbrance penalty, it was a success. Afterwards, I tried to figure out if Acrobatics takes an encumbrance penalty, but didn't find anything.

It stands to reason that some skills, like Acrobatics, would be penalized when one is encumbered, and it would be nice if there was a list somewhere of these skills. I've seen that the description of the Stealth skill includes a paragraph about encumbrance, but there is no such note in the Acrobatics skill description. Does that mean that by RAW, Acrobatics doesn't take encumbrance penalties?

Is there a list of skills that take encumbrance penalties somewhere? What about double encumbrance penalties (like swimming)?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Skills with encumbrance pentalties

Action p37 (and Monster Hunter 2 p20, same text):
Quote:
Acrobatic Stand: If you’re lying down, you can jump to your feet using one Change Posture maneuver instead of two by making an Acrobatics roll at -6 plus encumbrance penalties.
Action (p19) (and DF-exploits p20) give (maneuver specific) encumbrance penalty to all skills used in parkour : acrobatics, jumping, climbing, skying, running and escape. I am not sure you should generalize to all use of the skills.

Last edited by Celjabba; 03-21-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Skills with encumbrance pentalties

Jumping and Running depend on speed which already takes encumbrance into account. Counting it again for base skill use would be double dipping against the character.