Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
Gnome

Default Re: Full move when fatigued

Remember that being below 1/3 HP and/or FP halves Dodge as well as Move. To get rid of this entirely I think a Move 6 character would have to buy Basic Speed +6 (only for calculating halved Move and Dodge when slowed from injury or fatigue, -50%) [60].
Honestly, if this were available as a DF power-up, I think that would be a fair cost. Reeling from your wounds is a big part of the GURPS "death spiral" that can't simply be avoided by a good HT score.
Even Supernatural Durability just delays the reeling until 0 HP as I recall.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Honestly, if this were available as a DF power-up, I think that would be a fair cost.
Honestly, 60 points spent in HP are far more valuable in DF.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Honestly, 60 points spent in HP are far more valuable in DF.
If this were only about HP, I might agree. In my mind, roughly half of that cost is about FP. If you face an enemy that does fatigue damage and he successfully reduces you below 1/3, it becomes way easier for him to hit you again (due to reduced Dodge, assuming his attack can't be blocked or parried), and you are now dangerously close to being automatically incapacitated at -1*FP.

In my current campaign (high-level DF), the PCs have enough HP and HT that they don't really fear dying or failing a consciousness check until they get very, very low on HP. So the real danger of being low on HP or FP is that once your Dodge is halved, you're a sitting duck for many attacks and entering a spiral of death.

For a PC with HP 20, you're in trouble from 6 HP (slowed) to -100 (dead). For a PC with this advantage, you're never in trouble until you're dead. So this advantage buys you 106 more HP worth of usefulness! Buying a few extra HP is not going to make up such a huge difference. So even if you're just thinking about HP, the cost of this advantage should be very high (in a game like mine--in other games, where taking lots of damage is very rare, this might be as cheap as a perk!).
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #14
naloth

Here's how I'd do it:
+5 Move (Only to counteract 1/3 movement penalties -60%) [10]
+5 Enhanced Dodge (Only to counteract 1/3 movement penalties -60%) [30]

would be 40 points, which seems somewhat fair for a general cost if you didn't want to calculate it for each character individually.

You can be more precise though by charging [ Basic Speed * 8 * 75% ], so that high speed characters pay more to keep their dodge and low speed characters can still run away quicker. That works out to Basic Speed 6 costing 36 points, BS7 costing 42 points, and BS8 costing 48 points.

If you want to partially offset the penalty, it would work out to 6 points per -1 move/dodge penalty you counteract.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #15
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Here's how I'd do it:
+5 Move (Only to counteract 1/3 movement penalties -60%) [10]
+5 Enhanced Dodge (Only to counteract 1/3 movement penalties -60%) [30]

would be 40 points, which seems somewhat fair for a general cost if you didn't want to calculate it for each character individually.

You can be more precise though by charging [ Basic Speed * 8 * 75% ], so that high speed characters pay more to keep their dodge and low speed characters can still run away quicker. That works out to Basic Speed 6 costing 36 points, BS7 costing 42 points, and BS8 costing 48 points.

If you want to partially offset the penalty, it would work out to 6 points per -1 move/dodge penalty you counteract.
This also seems like a fair way to do it. The precise value of the limitation is hard to pinpoint and really depends on the campaign. However, according to P99, Accessibility limitations should never be more than 40%...
Old 03-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
Hide

Thank you guys, I got this!