Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
Coinage

Default Re: Create Ashlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I doubt that destroying the object that is the current ashlar is a good idea. It can still exist after the change, it just isn't the ashlar any more.
Understood. What my goal is to transfer the status of "ashlar" from one object/entity to another.

Quote:
Thinking some more after sleeping, I don't think you can arrange for an arbitrary object to become the ashlar. It needs to be something of symbolic importance to the world's history. The easiest way to arrange that is to pick something that is already historically important and then tweak history to make it more important, in whatever specific way is necessary.
"Historically important" seems to be a highly subjective term. Is there any way in GURPS to QUANTIFY the concept of "historical importance"?

Quote:
Trying to make yourself the ashlar looks like a bad idea. None of the examples are living, and the effects on the world of the death of a living ashlar are unknown and probably severe.
I'm not so sure about that. There is nothing explicitly written in the rules that prevents a biological organism, like a tree or something, from being an ashlar. An ashlar is merely the source of non-wild mana in a specific timeline. In game terms, a character that has an ashlar would just have a REALLY high Affliction advantage.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #12
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Understood. What my goal is to transfer the status of "ashlar" from one object/entity to another.

"Historically important" seems to be a highly subjective term. Is there any way in GURPS to QUANTIFY the concept of "historical importance"?

"The number of people who would complain if you threatened to destroy it without cause or riot if you actually destroyed it." would be a good start.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. There is nothing explicitly written in the rules that prevents a biological organism, like a tree or something, from being an ashlar. An ashlar is merely the source of non-wild mana in a specific timeline. In game terms, a character that has an ashlar would just have a REALLY high Affliction advantage.
I wish to disassociate myself entirely from this idea.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
Coinage

Quote:
I wish to disassociate myself entirely from this idea.
Fair enough.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
"The number of people who would complain if you threatened to destroy it without cause or riot if you actually destroyed it." would be a good start.
True, I just wish there was a way to quantify that on some sort of Table or something.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Coinage

I was thinking of how Kefka became the God of Magic in Final Fantasy VI, just so you know.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Varyon

Quote:
I was thinking of how Kefka became the God of Magic in Final Fantasy VI, just so you know.
Didn’t Kefka fuse with the Goddess Statues during his “ascension?” As those statues were, from what I’ve read here, that world’s ashlar, that implies if you want to pull a Kefka, you’ll need to do the same thing.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
Coinage

Default Re: Create Ashlar.

Right. I was just trying to figure out how exactly to stat that process.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Varyon

Default Re: Create Ashlar.

Quote:
Right. I was just trying to figure out how exactly to stat that process.
Find the ashlar, do something to allow you to fuse with it (entirely up to the GM), and gain something like Mana Generator and Origins Magnet, with appropriate Enhancements to cover the world. Fusing with the ashlar may be destructive to the rest of the world, and it may render you immobile, so enjoy lording over your World of Ruin from an inescapable throne.