Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default New Advantage: Fusion

So, I have been watching Steve Universe (a surprisingly deep and dark show for children), and I wanted to model their Fusion ability, so I came up with this advantage. I have adapted it so that it can fit outside of a children's television show. Please tell me what you think and if you would use it.

Fusion (Physical Supernatural) [50 points]

You have the ability to fuse together with another consenting character of the same species who possesses the Fusion ability. When two characters undergo fusion, they both must succeed on a Will roll in order to join their personalities into one. The resulting being possesses the sum of the point total of the higher value character plus one-half of the point value of the lower value character, with a template equal to one-half the point value of the lower value character which represents the fusion form of the combined character (the new template must possess the Fusion ability, is created during the first fusion with another character, and only changes when the lower value character increases in point value).

The resulting character possesses the combined mass of the two characters and increase their SM if their combined mass is large enough. If the two characters both consent, they may fuse with a third consenting character who also possesses the Fusion ability. They increase their point total of the combined form by one-half the point total of the two lower value characters and increase the point value of the combined template value by one-half of the point total of the two lower value characters (the new template must possess the Fusion ability, is created during the first fusion of the three characters, and only changes when the two lower value characters increase in point value). They also increase their mass by the mass of the third person and increase their SM if their combined mass is large enough.

Equipment with a mass equal to or less than the No Encumbrance of the combined character also undergoes fusion. The combined equipment possesses a mass equal to the mass of the individual components. Clothing fuses to clothing, armor fuses to armor, weapons fuse to weapons, etc.

Special Enhancements

Adaptive Template (+20%): The character may change an existing Fusion template with another character each time that they fuse together.

Increased Character Fusion Capacity (+100%): The character is capable of fusing with a consenting character who does not possess Fusion. If they fuse with another person with the Fusion ability with this modifier, they may both invite an extra character without Fusion into the resulting Fusion. If they fuse with two other character with this modifier, all three of them may invite an extra character without Fusion into the resulting Fusion.

Increased Equipment Fusion Capacity (+20% for Light, +40% for Medium, +60% for Heavy, and +100% for Extra-Heavy): The character is capable of fusing equipment with a mass equal to a higher level of Encumbrance for the combined character.

Xeno-Fusion (+20% for Mammalian life, +40% for Earthly life, +60% for Carbon-Based Life, +80% for anything Alive, and +100% for anything Animate): The character is capable of fusing with characters outside of their species.

Special Limitations

Allies Only (-20%): The character is only capable of fusing with their Allies.

No Equipment Fusion (-20%): The character is incapable of fusing equipment, with that anything worn during fusion will be destroyed by the fusion process (carried equipment will just become too small for the combined character). This limitation is mutually exclusive with Increased Equipment Fusion.

No Other Fusion Characters (-20%): The character is incapable of fusing with another character who possesses the Fusion advantage. If they join with one or more characters in Fusion, all of the characters involved must not have the Fusion Ability. This limitations requires Increased Character Fusion and allows the character to take the Increased Character Fusion enhancement up to five times, allowing them to fuse with as many as five other characters without the Fusion Ability.

Sexual Fusion (-20%): The character is only capable of fusing during an orgasm resulting from consensual sexual activity with another character. In order to fuse, the character must succeed on an Erotic Art roll.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 07-07-2018 at 10:20 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
TGLS

Default Re: New Advantage: Fusion

Interesting, but why not build it as Morph with a hefty trigger limitation?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Because you cannot add the capabilities of two characters with Morph. At best you end up with a character whose potential is realized with the templates acquired with Morph.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Because you cannot add the capabilities of two characters with Morph. At best you end up with a character whose potential is realized with the templates acquired with Morph.
Actually you can,though its usually done with Alternate Form.
See this thread or if you just want to jump to the most relevant post
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Actually you can, though its usually done with Alternate Form.
Interesting. You charge each character in the "fusion group" an equal percentage of the combined alternate form cost.

That makes a lot of sense for a Voltron type entity, but I'm not sure its the perfect solution.

I like the Fusion advantage because it seems more appropriate for blob-like beings who can merge and divide as they wish, without having to work out alternate form costs for every possible fused character combination.

It's still a bit rough around the edges (e.g., What happens with HP and FP when characters fuse or separate? Which character is in charge of the fused entity? How to things like mind control attacks affect the entity - does it effectively get levels of Compartmentalized mind?)

As a slightly similar ability, take a look at Possession. There are some rules there that could be ported over, especially if you allow involuntary fusion.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 07-08-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
It's still a bit rough around the edges (e.g., What happens with HP and FP when characters fuse or separate? Which character is in charge of the fused entity? How to things like mind control attacks affect the entity - does it effectively get levels of Compartmentalized mind?)
Split HP/FP losses evenly between the fused characters. And if we're matching the show, it's levels of Compartmentalized Mind based on the number of characters fused, and the controls only become an issue when inter-personal (or just plot) issues make it a problem.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Well, some of the fusions do not show anything that would rise to the level of Compartmentalized Brain. I think that the better the fusion, paradoxically, the less likely there is a chance of Compartmentalized Brain and the more likely that the combined character manifests extraordinary mental resistance and physical coordination (it would be represented by the template of the fusion either way). I do like dividing HP and FP between characters though when they divide again.

In most cases, characters would possess the Maximum Duration limitation, though there are some notable examples of fusions that have lasted thousands of years. In that case, a powerful character could possess the base Fusion advantage and possess the ability to become two lower value characters (for example, a 1750 point character could actually be the Fusion form of six 500 point charactes (and would require a 1250 point template). The character could divide into six 500 CP characters but would have the ability to fuse into even larger fusions if they found suitable partners. While I give examples of three characters fusing, the show gives the example of a two-fusion combining with two other characters (I think that a total of six characters with Fusion fusing, possibly with up to six more character without Fusion fusing, should be a suggested maximum in most games, though it is up to the GM).
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
So, I have been watching Steve Universe (a surprisingly deep and dark show for children), and I wanted to model their Fusion ability,
Just a note but this is also seen on Dragon Ball Z (and descendant shows). Pretty much as the write-up has it.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
Pursuivant

Quote:
In most cases, characters would possess the Maximum Duration limitation, though there are some notable examples of fusions that have lasted thousands of years. In that case, a powerful character could possess the base Fusion advantage and possess the ability to become two lower value characters
Or, for an effectively permanent fusion, just have a single character with the fact that it's actually two or more fused individuals just being a bit of backstory.

As a related idea, what happens if a fusion character is usually a single character but can temporarily "hive off" individual characters, with a corresponding drop in character point value of the individuals remaining in the fusion?

That seems like the Duplication advantage, but with a limitation based on the percentage of overall character point loss.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
Astromancer

I like this advantage, might I suggest that there Enhancements that allow a higher percentage of the Weaker characters points to be used. And, of course, a limitation, that reduces the points useable.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote