Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #351
nik1979

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Celerity [50pts]: Altered Time Rate (-55%; Costs Fatigue: 1FP for 60 seconds, -5%; Limited Use: 3/day, -20%; Takes Recharge: 1 hour, -30%;) [45]; Single Minded [5]

Effect: Altered Time Rate (B38) and Single Minded (B85)
Duration: 60 seconds, +60 seconds for every FP spent past the initial 60 secs.
Genre: Low-Powered Supers
Uses:
1) Combat: the most basic use is: AoA and AoD at the same time.
2) Long actions: hurrying long actions w/ ATR and doing them effectively well with SM help make the character useful in other things.

personal note: can't think of a better name at the moment.
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 05-31-2006 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Upon correction. :D
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:53 AM   #352
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Celerity [50pts]: Altered Time Rate (-55%; Costs Fatigue: 1FP for 20 seconds, -5%; Reduced Duration: from 60 to 20 seconds, -20%; Takes Recharge: 10x the amount of time the ability is used, -30%;) [45]; Single Minded [5]
I question some of the limitations you've put on this.
Costs Fatigue (1 FP per 20 seconds, -5%) + Reduced Duration (60 to 20 seconds, -20%), totals -25% to pay 1 FP per 20 seconds.
The canon Costs Fatigue (1 FP per second, -10%) is 10%.
Something that gives a higher limitation value should not be less limiting. The problem is with the Reduced Duration limitation you've applied to this. I haven't found this limitation in either Characters or Powers, which leads me to suspect it's a house rule; it also leads me to suspect that it is unbalanced in this context. I would instead try something like Maximum Duration (up to 1 minute, -65%), from Powers.

Also, the value you have for Takes Recharge, -30%, is specifically a one hour minimum recharge, or, if 10x the time required to use the ability if that is longer than one hour.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #353
zorg
Experimental Subject

Protective Wall of Fluffy Feathers [+50]
Crushing Attack 5d (No Wounding -50%; No Knockback -10%; No Blunt Trauma -20%; Rigid Wall +60%; Area Effect 4 yards +100%; Persistent+40%, Magical -10%; Takes 1sec Extra Time -10%)
Notes: By concentrating and muttering a few words, you can create a wall of fluffy feathers 12 yards long and 4 yards wide, which has DR15 and HP3.

Is it legal to remove all damage effects from the underlying IA to transform it into a wall?

Last edited by zorg; 05-31-2006 at 09:35 AM. Reason: If no collision damage at all is possible, it seemed a good idea to swap "steel" for "fluffy feathers"...
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #354
Matuku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Protective Wall of Steel [+50]
Crushing Attack 5d (No Wounding -50%; No Knockback -10%; No Blunt Trauma -20%; Rigid Wall +60%; Area Effect 4 yards +100%; Persistent+40%, Magical -10%; Takes 1sec Extra Time -10%)
Notes: By concentrating and muttering a few words, you can create a wall of steel 12 yards long and 4 yards wide, which has DR15 and HP3.

Is it legal to remove all damage effects from the underlying IA to transform it into a wall?
In terms of rules, yes. Not sure if I'd allow it though; would allow you to put the wall enhancement on DR and use that instead but your way seems good actually. I never considered using it that way. :)
Old 05-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #355
Matuku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich
I question some of the limitations you've put on this.
Costs Fatigue (1 FP per 20 seconds, -5%) + Reduced Duration (60 to 20 seconds, -20%), totals -25% to pay 1 FP per 20 seconds.
The canon Costs Fatigue (1 FP per second, -10%) is 10%.
Something that gives a higher limitation value should not be less limiting. The problem is with the Reduced Duration limitation you've applied to this. I haven't found this limitation in either Characters or Powers, which leads me to suspect it's a house rule; it also leads me to suspect that it is unbalanced in this context. I would instead try something like Maximum Duration (up to 1 minute, -65%), from Powers.
Or pay 3FP per minute and just make it a special effect that you pay one per 20 seconds. That should balance the cost out. Don't think it would change the cost of Costs FP, would it?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #356
Exxar
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Protective Wall of Steel [+50]
Notes: By concentrating and muttering a few words, you can create a wall of steel 12 yards long and 4 yards wide, which has DR15 and HP3.

I would never allow a "create wall" type of effect as an Innate Attack. I'd do a combination of Create and Control.
Exxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #357
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar
I would never allow a "create wall" type of effect as an Innate Attack. I'd do a combination of Create and Control.
What is the Wall/Rigid enhancement for, then?

EDIT: Please answer here.

Last edited by zorg; 05-31-2006 at 08:49 AM.
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #358
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Or pay 3FP per minute and just make it a special effect that you pay one per 20 seconds. That should balance the cost out. Don't think it would change the cost of Costs FP, would it?
I think that's a better idea. Remove the Reduced Duration, make it cost 3FP per minute (-15%), and then figure out what you want to do in terms of the Takes Recharge limitation.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #359
Atreyu_Hibiki

TL8 Firefighter Template 50 points

Attributes: A total of 40 points chosen from +1 or +2 to DX or IQ [20 or 40] or +1 or +2 to ST or HT [10 or 20]
Advantages: A total of 10 points of advantages chosen from +1 to Will [5]; Allies [varies]; Common Sense [10]; Fearlessness [2/level]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold (heat and fire only, -40%) [6]; Resistant to Disease +3 [3]
Disadvantages: A total of -20 points chosen from Code of Honor [-5 to -15]; Duty [varies]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Loner [-5*]; On the Edge [-15*]; Selfless [-5*]; Sense of Duty [varies]; and Workaholic [-5]
Primary Skills: Professional Skill (Firefighter) (A) IQ+2 [8]
Secondary Skills: First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ [1] and a total of 8 points in any of: Breath Control (HT/H); Climbing (DX/A); further First Aid (IQ/E); Forced Entry (DX/E); Intimidation (Will/A); Jumping (DX/E); Leadership (IQ/A); Lifting (HT/A); Running (HT/A); and Savoir-Faire (Responder or other appropriate).
Background Skills: Area Knowledge (local neighborhoods) (IQ/E) IQ [1] and a total of 4 points in any of Computer Operation/TL8 (IQ/E); Cooking (IQ/A); Driving/TL8 (Automobile or Heavy Wheeled) (DX/A); and Housekeeping (IQ/E).

Notes: You're a firefighter in the 21st century. What more need I say?

I should probably whittle this down to not be option-filled... shoot.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #360
GnomesofZurich

With regards to the Firefighter template, I would make +1 ST, +1 HT and Fit all mandatory. That's a career where you need to stay in shape, for your own safety and to perform the job properly.

Resistant to Disease seems a little out of place; although there is nothing preventing a firefighter from having this, they don't seem any more likely to have it than anyone else.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers