Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #291
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

I'm putting together version 2 of the book, which will include everything up to this post. Just a few last-minute questions and submissions for review, so don't worry if this post seems a little scattered...

Gurps Fan, I'm a little confused... Which versions of Liquify Bodies do you want included? I could (and almost did) put in all four of them, as Liquify Bodies 1-4, but I notice that they're sort of all different ways to get the same thing.

Also, submitting for your approval:
Pastry Chef Of Death [50]
Death Cookie (-45%): Toxic Attack 4d (Blood Agent, -40%; Cyclic, 1 minute, can be neutralized by milk, +40%; Triggered Delay, until cookie is eaten, +50%; Nuisance Effect, requires expensive, rare, and often illegal ingredients, -10%; Preparation Required, 1 hour bake time, -50%; Resistible, HT-2, -20%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [9]
Notes: You know how to make a deadly pastry that will, when eaten, cause 4d damage every minute until the victim drinks milk. Upon eating the cookie, the victim may make a HT-2 roll to resist it's effects. The cookie has an hour bake time. 9 points.
Healthy Crumpet (-70%): Healing (Blood Agent, -40%; Triggered Delay, until cookie is eaten, +50%; Nuisance Effect, requires expensive, rare, and often illegal ingredients, -10%; Injuries Only, -20%; Preparation Required, 1 hour bake time, -50%; Resistible, HT-2, -20%; Reduced FP Cost 1, +20%) [9]
Notes: You know how to make a tasty pastry that will, when eaten, automatically heal 2 HP of damage. You can make them stronger, but the cooking process wears you out, expending 1 FP for each extra 2 HP the crumpet will heal. 9 points.
Strengthening Wafer (+95%): Affliction 1 (ST+2, +100%; Extended Duration, x100, +80%; Blood Agent, -40%; Triggered Delay, until cookie is eaten, +50%; Nuisance Effect, requires expensive, rare, and often illegal ingredients, -10%; Preparation Required, 1 hour bake time, -50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [20]
Notes: You know how to make a healthy pastry that, when eaten, will add +2 to your ST score for 100 seconds, multiplied by the amount by which you succeeded your HT roll. This is considered a “helpful affliction,” but the HT roll may not be waived. 20 points.
Sneaky Donut (-20%): Affliction 1 (Disadvantage: 65 points worth of disadvantages, chosen at character creation, +65%; Blood Agent, -40%; Triggered Delay, until cookie is eaten, +50%; Nuisance Effect, requires expensive, rare, and often illegal ingredients, -10%; Preparation Required, 1 hour bake time, -50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [8]
Notes: You know how to make a round pastry that, when eaten, will have a brief effect of your choosing.
Cooking (Specialization: Sweets; E) IQ+2 [4]
Poisons/TL (Specialization: Ingested, A) IQ [2]
Notes: You are a renowned, but sociopathic, pastry chef. Anyone who crosses you may find themselves presented with a delicious cookie one day, that if eaten, causes 4d damage immediately and every minute until a HT-2 roll is made.
Submitted by Almafeta, modified by Atreyu Hibiki.
Strengthening Wafer, Healthy Crumpet, and Sneaky Donut by Atreyu Hibiki.

And, from Dani (while I was working on the above):
Mage's Donut (+155%): Affliction (Advantage, Energy Reserve 4 +120%; Advantage, Magery 0, +50%; Extended Duration, x100, +80%; Blood Agent, -40%; Triggered Delay, until cookie is eaten, +50%; Preparation Required, 1 hour bake time, -50%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [26]
Notes: You know how to make a pastry that, when eaten, will not only give the eater the temporary ability to use magic, but also a small pool of energy to use with it. This lasts for 100 seconds, multiplied by the amount by which you succeeded your HT roll. This is considered a “beneficial affliction,” but the HT roll may not be waived. Inspired by the ability Pastry Chef of Death by Almafeta, included in this book. 26 points.
Modifying: Several options may be taken to convert this into a 50-point ability. One is to increase the Magery level and Energy Reserve, resulting in replacing the existing slots for those with (Advantage, Energy Reserve 9, +470%; Advantage, Magery 1, +150%), totalling to 50 points. Or you could add (Advantage, Wild Talent 2, Emergency Only, Spells Only, +200%) for 46 points.
Submitted by Dani Hibiki.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #292
ham2anv

Darn, I just missed version 2? Well, here's something new anyway:

Gem Sword (44 points)
Impaling Attack 2 pts (Link, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%; Gadget, DR 7, SM -1, Can Be Stolen by Quick Contest of ST, -60%) [2]
Cutting Attack 1 pt (Link, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, ST-based, +80%; Gadget, DR 7, SM -1, Can Be Stolen by Quick Contest of ST, -60%) [1]
Impaling attack 3 pts (Link, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, ST-based, +75%; Gadget, DR 7, SM -1, Can Be Stolen by Quick Contest of ST, -60%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%) [9]
Cutting Attack 2 pt (Link, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, ST-based, +80%; Gadget, DR 7, SM -1, Can Be Stolen by Quick Contest of ST, -60%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%) [2]
Modular Abilities (lengthy catalog; costly and slow; Physical Only, +50%; Attacks Linked to Innate Attacks Only, -30%; Gadget, DR 7, SM -1, Can Be Stolen by Quick Contest of ST, -60%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) 3 (5,5,5) [30]

This thrusting broadsword is mounted with brackets that can hold magical gems. These gems grant the sword various magical characteristics such as elemental damage. The sword can hold three gems at a time, and gems can be swapped out with an Armoury (Melee Weapons) roll. Use normal stats and rules for a thrusting broadsword (thr+2 imp/sw+1 cut one-handed, thr+3 imp/sw+2 cut two-handed).

Sample Gems:

Fire Opal (5 points)
Burning Attack 1d-1 (Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%) [4]
Burning Attack 1d-1 (Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%) [1]

Ice Diamond (5 points)
Fatigue Attack 1 pt (Freezing, +20%; Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%) [4]
Fatigue Attack 1 pt (Freezing, +20%; Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%) [1]

Quartz Lightning (5 points)
Burning Attack 1d-1 (Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Surge, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, Loud, -10%) [4]
Burning Attack 1d-1 (Link, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Surge, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%; Nuisance Effect, Loud, -5%) [1]

EDIT: Bad math, do what I tell you ...

Last edited by ham2anv; 05-23-2006 at 05:58 PM.
ham2anv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #293
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv
Darn, I just missed version 2?
Nah, you've got at least until I hear back from Gurps Fan on the Liquefy Bodies issue...
The official cutoff date is "whenever I catch up to the forums, with a little more art made, too... oh, yeah, and get some form of index done..."
So, er, yeah. Keep 'em coming!

BTW, I like the sword. It'll make great utility out of the 5-point section.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #294
ham2anv

A note on the sword:

The gems include Selectivity basically to shut off the Link enhancement. This amounts to being able to turn the effect off when you just want to attack with the blade. This was designed to mimic damage enhancements from D&D which can be turned on and off with a command word.

Also, by reverse engineering, a thrusting broadsword by itself costs [14].

Last edited by ham2anv; 05-23-2006 at 05:57 PM.
ham2anv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #295
ham2anv

A 5-point ability, and a gem for the Gem Sword.

Foeminder (-50%): Detect Enemies (Vague, -50%) [5]. 5 points.

You know when someone is close who means you harm. "Enemies" here is defined as a thinking being (arguably Common) that means you immediate or long-term harm (reducing it to Occasional).

Gem/Binding Stone (5 points)
Binding 10 (Linked, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Accessibility, Can only affect one target at a time, -40%; Environmental, Subject is wearing worked armor, -40%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, 2, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Requires two free hands, -5%; One-Shot, -10%) [4]
Binding 10 (Linked, +10%; Selectivity, +10%; Accessibility, Can only affect one target at a time, -40%; Environmental, Subject is wearing worked armor, -40%; Melee Attack, Reach 1, -25%; One-Shot, -10%) [1]

A successful hit locks the target's armor in place, resisting his attempts to move with an effective ST of 10.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #296
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki
Gurps Fan, I'm a little confused... Which versions of Liquify Bodies do you want included? I could (and almost did) put in all four of them, as Liquify Bodies 1-4, but I notice that they're sort of all different ways to get the same thing.
Treat the #274 version of Liquefy Bodies as final.

Liquefy Bodies (0%): Shadow Form (3-D Movement, +20%; Accessibility, Must perform specific incantations and gestures, -10%; Affects Others, +50%; Can Carry Objects, Light, +20%; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Finite Thickness, -50%; Magical, -10%; Requires IQ Roll, -10%) [50].

The other versions are now obsolete, and I don't like them to be included.

Thank you so much for your work, Atreyu, and sorry for all your trouble.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #297
Gurps Fan

Inspired by Almafeta's The More You Hit Me, The Less I Feel It:

Force Collector-Amplifier-Emitter Field (+80%/-80%):
DR 5 (Absorption, Points added only to Burning Attack, +80%; Force Field, +20%; Maximum Duration, Up to 1 hour, -10%; Superscience, -10%) [45] + Burning Attack 5d (All-Out, -25%; Costs Fatigue, 4 FP, -20%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Stunning, resistible, -5%; Superscience, -10%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%; Unreliable, Malf 15, -10%) [5].

Notes: Force field with DR 5. Lasts up to one hour per activation.

The field absorbs energy from incoming attacks, and converts it into force beams that are fired from the surface of the field. It amplifies 1 point of the absorbed damage into a beam of 1d burning damage! (Even when no damage is absorbed, the beam still does 5d burn.)

Converting the hostile energy into the user's own attack is not an easy task -- it is treated as an All-Out Attack and takes 4 FP and a 1-turn Ready maneuver. Sometimes it simply doesn't work (Malf number 15). After firing a beam, the user must make a HT roll or he becomes stunned. 50 points.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #298
Fabricati

Raging Storm
2d Cutting Attack (Requires 5 ER -25%, Requires All-Out Attack-Determined -25%, Area Effect/1 yd +0%, Emanation -20%) [5]

Designed for use with the Super Desperation Move Meter- anyone within one yard of you is in for a serious world of hurt if you can hold out for five seconds.

Incidentally, this means you can't heal, but hey. Them's the breaks.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 AM   #299
zorg
Experimental Subject

Module J/Oscillating Acusto-Disruptor
Toxic Attack 1 pt (Area Effect 64yards +300%; Emanation -20%; Hearing-Based +150%; Nuisance Effect: Obvious and loud shrieking sound -5%; Takes 15 sec recharge -20%, Costs 1 FP -5%) [+5]
Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM   #300
Atreyu_Hibiki

As per a long-ago request from Almafeta, I present:

Final Fantasy MP Pool (-80%/-25%): Energy Reserve 20 (Abilities Only, -10%; Special Recharge, Only recharges at Inn or Save Point, -70%) [12] + Fast Regeneration (ER Only, +0%; Only at Inns or Save Points, -25%) [38]
Notes: You have a pool of energy with which you can power your spells! Keep an eye on your expenditure, though - it won't recharge without either staying at an Inn (camping out for the night won't work) or using a Save Point (what qualifies as a "Save Point" is up to the GM.) However, when either of these conditions are met, it refills very quickly, at one energy point per minute!

Calculation notes: For Regeneration, I gauged "Inn and Save Points" as being somewhere between "Only in Sunlight, -10%" and "Only on holy days and at holy places, -40%." For the ER, I gathered that "Doesn't recharge at all under normal circumstances" was the normal situation for Special Recharge, and merited the -70% modifier.

If you feel I got either of these wrong, please let me know.

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers