Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Resources for Fantasy religions

Also keeping in mind that what answers laymen give to questions of why will be different than what their religious scholars and experts will.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
jason taylor

The Golden Bough does not do a terribly good job at accounting for cosmological or philosophical notions(which are hard to devise in any event) and ethics is fairly predictable with adjustments based on priority and environmental context, and of course some weird anomalies. You can get a running list of mythology and custom and as often the main thing you want is chrome that is good enough.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The Golden Bough does not do a terribly good job at accounting for cosmological or philosophical notions(which are hard to devise in any event) and ethics is fairly predictable with adjustments based on priority and environmental context, and of course some weird anomalies. You can get a running list of mythology and custom and as often the main thing you want is chrome that is good enough.
since is not obvious from the above: The Golden Bough is a book on comparative religion by Scottish anthropologist in 1890. It can be found on project gutenburg, so presumably its public domain.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #14
mehrkat

I know its a gaming book but since GURPS religion was listed.

I can't recommend Primal Order enough. It sells on DriveThru. If the religion has a god behind it who gets something from their worshipers its a helpful book and a fun read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primal_Order

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...e-Primal-Order

Tags
fantasy, game resources, religion