Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
hcobb

Default The Wizard's Guild is very very evil.

It takes an apprentice day to recharge six points of mana in a powerstone or staff (15 minutes rest times the 5:1 conversion rate) therefore an apprentice week (at $50/week) recharges a total of 30 mana.

Why is the Wizard's Guild charging half their own costs for spellcasting?

It must be because they're kidnapping orphans and sucking them dry.

A hypothetical non-evil Wizard's Guild would charge at least $5 per fatigue point used in casting.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: The Wizard's Guild is very very evil.

They're charging a lot less than half! $50 a week is what the Guild charges for the use of an apprentice, plus $1 per ST the apprentice uses in casting (ITL p. 60). Interestingly, the Jobs table (which says $25/week for an apprentice) specifies that the pay is above living expenses (ITL p. 57), so presumably there's $20 a day for subsistence on top of that; so the gross amount of an apprentice's pay is $45 a week.

A wizard must pay his apprentices Guild scale, or $25/week (ITL p. 154); I would assume that means the wizard is paying the apprentice directly and is also providing room and board. It also says an apprentice may not be called upon for more than 25 ST/day in Aid spells; I'd generalize that to 25 ST/day in mana output for projects other than their own.

Charging Powerstones or Manastaves is the least effective use of an apprentice's ST. They're more useful as a ST source directly, via Aid.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
hcobb

An off-the street spell casting job can't assume that there are a large crowd of apprentices standing around doing nothing. WG must charge the stored power rate of $5/point for non-scheduled castings.

House rule that off-the-street castings of more than 4 fat (i.e. an hour's rest) are charged at the stored rate?

Last edited by hcobb; 10-10-2018 at 10:53 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
An off-the street spell casting job can't assume that there are a large crowd of apprentices standing around doing nothing. WG must charge the stored power rate of $5/point for non-scheduled castings.
Probably more than that even. Just like with any trade professional, if you need someone today you pay a premium. But I think wizards are more likely to barter via the "mana bank" idea I posted in the "Why bother with powerstones?" thread.

Quote:
House rule that off-the-street castings of more than 4 fat (i.e. an hour's rest) are charged at the stored rate?
Sure. I mean, guild houses do keep powerstones around, and they most likely charge a premium for the ST involved. You can certainly rent a powerstone, but (just like with rental cars in our world) if you bring it back empty they charge you extra to refill it.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote