Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #21
robertsconley

Default Re: Money in TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
As far as 10 silver pieces not being equal to 1 gold pieces in reality, Mr. Conely's exposition illustrates that it could - depending on how much silver or gold is valued and the size and weight of the coins but I doubt most people want to get this nitty-gritty with their gaming.
It is far more important to be gamable. And I have found that converting any given RPG price list into silver pieces first and then introducing one's own money system works well and easy to do. The only labor involved is retyping the price list.

And even with my interest in historical currency, I opted in the end to have one really valuable coin, and one common coin. In my case the valuable coin is the Gold Crown worth 320 silver pennies the common coin.

I ran Harn as a setting a few times back in the 80s and unlike in AD&D and other FRPG the relative high value of the crown to the silver penny made players go "ooooh" whenever they found gold.

So I stuck with it even I used my Majestic Wilderlands. When I ran the setting with GURPS, one silver penny was $4 and one gold crown was $1,280
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
It is far more important to be gamable. And I have found that converting any given RPG price list into silver pieces first and then introducing one's own money system works well and easy to do. The only labor involved is retyping the price list.

And even with my interest in historical currency, I opted in the end to have one really valuable coin, and one common coin. In my case the valuable coin is the Gold Crown worth 320 silver pennies the common coin.

I ran Harn as a setting a few times back in the 80s and unlike in AD&D and other FRPG the relative high value of the crown to the silver penny made players go "ooooh" whenever they found gold.

So I stuck with it even I used my Majestic Wilderlands. When I ran the setting with GURPS, one silver penny was $4 and one gold crown was $1,280
Thank you for proving my point.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Money in TFT Dice representing Gems as money

New ITL p56 Unset gems are often used as “coins” of high denomination. In some parts of Cidri, royal coiners assay gems and mark them with their worth by engraving a value on a lower facet. I would bet the Dwarves also do this.

On the far side of the ocean from Elyntia, there is a mountain nation called Chezeks. It has almost no gold and just enough silver for coins. But it has lots of gems due to its mineral rich mountains. Chezeks use gems as coinage. Instead of putting a numerical symbol on the “coin”, the Chezeks carve their coins into various polyhedrals to designate its value. The gemcoins are about the same size to eachother due to Chezecks regulations.

These gemcoins are called Zider gems. They contain the Chezeks coat or arms etched into one facet. They are not the precision beauties of the Dwarven gems. When writing the value down, the Chezeks refer to these as d4 or d10. If there are several, the might list it as 3d10. Or they might use the #of sides with term Zider as in “a Ten Zider.”

Here are the gems they normally use:
• d4 is Tiger Eye
• d6 is Peridot
• d8 is Tourmaline
• d10 is Garnet
• d12 is Sapphire
• d20 is Emerald

During the reign of Cyrus, Chezeks treasury covered newly minted gemcoins with colorful resin or shellac coatings.

A few of these gemcoins have migrated to Elyntia, but not many. Some merchants who work internationally know them, but the moneylenders are the ones who mostly deal with them.

In Elyntia, the moneylenders trade them at either 1x$ of gold or 10x$ of gold, though other exchange rates have been encountered.
In other words 1d20 = $200 or $2000

I suggest that the gamemaster fix the rate before play. I suggest the x1 rate if you like having a bagfull of dice. The other x10 rate would make these gemcoins very valuable and a good way to transport much wealth.
Remember, these do not replace the Dwarven cut / Royal Mint gems with the price on a facet.
If you are going to represent these gemcoins, I suggest using sets that are the same color and that are not the dice style that you use to play the game. (so you don’t start losing your money to dice rolls. ; )

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
Chris Goodwin

Chezeks? Bah. Gyemsance is superior!

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #25
Shadekeep

Some pretty nice coins being kickstarted here, for folks who like physical props in their games. If anyone has links to TFT-friendly coins that they recommend, please share!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-and-currency
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #26
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Those are excellent, thanks for the link!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #27
oldwolf

Just thinking that someone wanting to make some physical coinage props might try using polymer clay with push molds. Get two push molds, one for heads the other for tails. Make a bunch of small balls of appropriate colored clay, set a clay ball on one mold, squash it flat with the other mold. Remove the new minted "coin" and repeat. There are thousands of push molds sold online and many colors of polymer clay can be found at craft stores.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #28
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
Just thinking that someone wanting to make some physical coinage props might try using polymer clay with push molds. Get two push molds, one for heads the other for tails. Make a bunch of small balls of appropriate colored clay, set a clay ball on one mold, squash it flat with the other mold. Remove the new minted "coin" and repeat. There are thousands of push molds sold online and many colors of polymer clay can be found at craft stores.
Yes, that's a good idea as well. It would be pretty fun to design one's own in-game currency, assuming one had the aptitude. It sounds worth a go!