Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Force Field, Area Effect, Affects Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Your last sentence is correct if you are using Force Field.
That was the context, yes. I'm sorry if my post was confusing for not repeating that bit as well.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Plane

I had forgot AO was leveled, so I guess AE is what allows you to do it at a distance.

Would "Emanation" be a possibility if you wanted to give DR to everyone in area but yourself?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I had forgot AO was leveled, so I guess AE is what allows you to do it at a distance.

Would "Emanation" be a possibility if you wanted to give DR to everyone in area but yourself?
Emanation specifies that an Area Effect is centered on you, but that is already implied in abilities that fit Affects Others so Emanation would not be allowed. AO means something you have is extended to others. Something not applicable to you would need Affliction for.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Just a side question I'd like the group-mind's take on, and this looks like a good thread for it...

Is DR with Force Field, Area Effect and Selectivity is the way to go if you want to give everyone within your area their own personal force field, but not a dome-shaped force field over the area? (You just note during chargen that this is the type of force field it generates.)

But what if you wanted to be able to also make it into a the "dome style"? Or even at the same time, but splitting the DR between dome and personal* (some sort of Cosmic Selectivity?)?

* For a 'double duty', IE fully powered dome and fully powered personal shields at the same time you need to buy DR (Force Field, etc) twice.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is DR with Force Field, Area Effect and Selectivity is the way to go if you want to give everyone within your area their own personal force field, but not a dome-shaped force field over the area?
I wouldn't allow this. Selectivity would let you turn some enhancements on or off, but not only against specific targets. If you mean Selective Area, I still think it wouldn't work - DR with Area Effect, Affects Others, Force Field, and Selective Area would produce an area force field with some holes in it, the location of which you set when you activated it. But an enemy in one of the holes would be able to push through the DR, or teleport, or otherwise move out of the area, and then be in the area of your DR. You could take a Ready action to re-activate the DR and change the locations of the holes, but enemies could still move.

What I would allow is taking DR with Area Effect and Affects Others, and just defining it as the "affects 1 other person in the area per level of Affects Others enhancement" version, when you built the power. You could tack on Force Field to that if you wanted the DR to behave like a skintight forcefield on you and the other people you affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore
But what if you wanted to be able to also make it into a the "dome style"? Or even at the same time, but splitting the DR between dome and personal* (some sort of Cosmic Selectivity?)?
Here's where Selectivity would come in handy. For this build, I'd ask you to buy one extra level of Affects Others, over whatever you needed to affect the number of people you wanted to. Then, Selectivity could remove the "Affects Others individually" modifiers, while leaving the lone Affects Others level to cover the whole area.

So, for example, if you wanted to be able to either protect 10 individuals within 16 yards of yourself, or to create a bubble-style field that protected a 16-yard radius field from everything outside it, you build it as:
Damage Resistance (Affects Others 11, +550%; Area Affect 16 yards, +200%; Force Field, +20%; Selectivity, +10%) [44/level].

Mind you, this is a place where an Alternative Enhancements scheme might work out cheaper (Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, p. 4). Using the rules there, we'd instead build this as:

Damage Resistance (Affects Others 10, +500%; As an Alternative Enhancement to Affects Others 10, Affects Others 1, +10%; Area Affect 16 yards, +200%; Force Field, +20%) [42/level].

So, slightly cheaper.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is DR with Force Field, Area Effect and Selectivity is the way to go if you want to give everyone within your area their own personal force field, but not a dome-shaped force field over the area? (You just note during chargen that this is the type of force field it generates.)
I'd agree with that, noting that without FF acting as a big bubble you need a level of Affects Others *per person* you're helping that is in your area. Powerful, but not cheap.

Quote:
* For a 'double duty', IE fully powered dome and fully powered personal shields at the same time you need to buy DR (Force Field, etc) twice.
With Selectivity, I'd even let you alternate between one big area FF dome and another area that gives your AO level of people DR while within your area.

Given the cost, I'd probably take a multi person force field (with a few levels of Affects Others) as an alternate at a lower level rather than making enhancing the big dome field as a power vs flexibility trade off.

Last edited by naloth; 11-14-2018 at 03:31 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #17
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
So, for example, if you wanted to be able to either protect 10 individuals within 16 yards of yourself, or to create a bubble-style field that protected a 16-yard radius field from everything outside it, you build it as:
Damage Resistance (Affects Others 11, +550%; Area Affect 16 yards, +200%; Force Field, +20%; Selectivity, +10%) [44/level].
What is the reasoning behind buying an extra level of Affects Others, but not Force Field? Arguably, you're changing how both interact rather than one or the other and if you have to buy one to change both, I'd choose the cheaper one...
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
What is the reasoning behind buying an extra level of Affects Others, but not Force Field? Arguably, you're changing how both interact rather than one or the other and if you have to buy one to change both, I'd choose the cheaper one...
That's a good point, yeah. I guess I can see buying just the level of Affects Others you want to cover the total number of people, and just using Selectivity to "switch" the first level to "covers an area rather than individual people".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #19
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Selectivity would let you turn some enhancements on or off, but not only against specific targets.

If you mean Selective Area, I still think it wouldn't work - DR with Area Effect, Affects Others, Force Field, and Selective Area would produce an area force field with some holes in it, the location of which you set when you activated it. But an enemy in one of the holes would be able to push through the DR, or teleport, or otherwise move out of the area, and then be in the area of your DR.
What about "Selective Effect"?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote