Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #20
Phil Masters

Default Re: Is Transcendent the limit?

I'd point out that Transcendent is more or less explicitly supernatural, at least in a nicely literal sense - whatever attractiveness is, whatever it does to people, the Transcendent version is/does to an extreme, beyond anything that one might consider "natural" and probably beyond anything that could actually be considered realistic. I'd expect it to be excluded from strictly realistic games; it may not ping any wizard's Detect Magic, but it should trigger sensible people's detect frikkin' uncanny, if they can concentrate enough to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Note also that one of the points of the Paris myth wasn't that he thought one of the goddesses to be more beautiful than the others - or even that he actually had difficulty determining this - but rather that he had difficulty deciding amongst what each had offered him (power from Hera, military prowess from Athena, Helen from Aphrodite).
True. But note that the three of them ended up there after arguing with straight faces about which of them was the Fairest, in front of all the other gods. Now, said other gods may have decided that it wasn't divinely wise to offer an opinion on the subject, but presumably if any of those goddesses had been less than darned good looking, they would have known it was a bit silly to put themselves forward. After all, there must have been other goddesses at the party who didn't.

Over-literalizing an allegorical myth like crazy here, obviously. But one assumes from the structure of the story that an Ancient Greek would take it as read that, yeah, all those three were fairly hot babes.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, beauty, deities, gods, transcendent