Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-15-2018, 06:12 AM   #41
RobW

Default Re: Munchkiny starting characters

No I rarely did the shrewd attacks as the -5 penalty and Indy Jones DX not so great. Even on a knocked-down figure that's adjDX 11.

Running did help, and esp tactics.

I was playing super conservative, to get through all the battles without (much) damage. Mainly Indy & Jones would whip down threats to give the crossbows more time to work.

When things got crowded, then the javelins tended to use your aggressive defense tactic.

There was usually a mopping-up phase where the javelins could do some attacking without risk to anyone.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #42
Terquem

I have never understood the style of play that devolves into a set of actions that are just each player trying to prove they can outsmart other players.

I'm not saying it cannot be fun, obviously it is, for many, I'm just saying I've never been able to understand how I would enjoy a role playing game built upon such a premise.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #43
hcobb

I've covered all the loopholes I can think of (including two "club" talents). Anything else?

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Combat
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #44
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I've covered all the loopholes I can think of (including two "club" talents). Anything else?

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Combat
Nice job!

This should probably be it's own thread.

I think I really like your HTH initiation replacement, though I'd have to playtest it.
Does your Stop Hit option refer to damage before or after armor?

I don't think your Fine Silver Weapons and Armor line is a change, unless you mean the wording of the "because" part?

The "Drain ST on creations" loophole plug is clever.

I think Giants probably do/should recover ST faster than humans, as a general rule, unless you want that flavor for them. I think fatigue (and damage) recovery should be proportional to ST, so a ST 50 dragon would recover 5 ST per 15 minutes' rest, and heal 5 damage per 2 days' recuperation.

I'm not sure why you want Immunity to Drop Weapon upgraded to Immunity to Break Weapon?

Or why you don't want a ST cost for Iron Flesh items.

The main missing thing I perceive, which you may just not have mentioned, is what you're doing to limit industrial Greater Wish farming.

Also I see nothing about the various issues with XP, such as costs for races with different base attribute totals, or how non-36+-point NPCs tend to learn talents without enough XP that they could gain several attribute points instead.

Oh and there should probably be pro-rated effects of injury for figures of ST 8 or less, so e.g. it's possible to knock them down without knocking them unconscious or killing them, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #45
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Does your Stop Hit option refer to damage before or after armor?
After. It is scored hits.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you want Immunity to Drop Weapon upgraded to Immunity to Break Weapon?
The only case where ITBW exists at all is for Wizard's Staffs who get it at the same time as ITDW. And I don't want to unleash a sword with a Break Weapon enchantment.

Quote:
Or why you don't want a ST cost for Iron Flesh items.
Just matching Stone Flesh above.

Quote:
The main missing thing I perceive, which you may just not have mentioned, is what you're doing to limit industrial Greater Wish farming.
Limited attribute giveaway and redefined contests at top.

Quote:
Oh and there should probably be pro-rated effects of injury for figures of ST 8 or less, so e.g. it's possible to knock them down without knocking them unconscious or killing them, etc.
I keep having this vision of a game where scale is a stat. I.e. a Giant has ST 10 and Scale 3.0 so you divide all normal scale attacks against them by three. That would be a very different game.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #46
Skarg

Quote:
The only case where ITBW exists at all is for Wizard's Staffs who get it at the same time as ITDW. And I don't want to unleash a sword with a Break Weapon enchantment.
Immunity to Break Weapon is described in the Break Weapon spell description.

Quote:
Limited attribute giveaway and redefined contests at top.
OH! Your link was to the Combat part of your house rules - I didn't realize there was a bunch more above that.

It still seems to me that you'd get wish farmers with those contest rules and "only" 500 XP per GW, because unless you patch the other change to the Demon rule wording, Demons can be overpowered since all they do is try to kill the wizard if the contest of wills fails, but presumably the Demon is still inside a pentagram, and about to be shot full of crossbow bolts, the summoner is surrounded by guards, etc.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #47
hcobb

Quote:
Immunity to Break Weapon is described in the Break Weapon spell description.
What is the ST cost, time in weeks and fair market price for this Immunity to Break Weapon enchantment, aside from Wizard Staffs?

Spoiler: He never found this information.

Contest of IQ gives at most 30 wishes on average before the wizard dies. Pentagram and crossbows are zero protection against this result.

This is for an IQ 21 wizard, given DX 15 and ST 8 that's 44 attribute points. And he's just knocked down to 39 attribute points. Using my much more generous XP numbers that's only 25,000k XP. Applying all 30 wishes gives only 15,000 XP. This is a deficit of 10,000 XP to the farmers.

Last edited by hcobb; 11-15-2018 at 12:53 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
Skarg

Quote:
What is the ST cost, time in weeks and fair market price for this Immunity to Break Weapon enchantment, aside from Wizard Staffs?

Spoiler: He never found this information.
Oh ye of little faith, hold my beer.

(i.e. If ever there were a spell which should be researchable, and would have been, it's one listed in a basic spell description but not actually listed on the Magic Item Creation Table.)

As for what the Break Weapon (non-immunity version) enchantment does, when we played, there wasn't one (only immunity), but I think I would do it like this:

Cast on a weapon or staff, it lets you break another weapon by hitting it with the enchanted weapon (-4 to hit, weapon expert/master to-hit penalties doubled). If the weapon is fine or otherwise break-resistant, roll as per the weapon description to see if it really breaks (e.g. see Fine Weapons).

Quote:
Contest of IQ gives at most 30 wishes on average before the wizard dies. Pentagram and crossbows are zero protection against this result.

This is for an IQ 21 wizard, given DX 15 and ST 8 that's 44 attribute points. And he's just knocked down to 39 attribute points. Using my much more generous XP numbers that's only 25,000k XP. Applying all 30 wishes gives only 15,000 XP. This is a deficit of 10,000 XP to the farmers.
You asked for things you missed in your house rules. Your house rule doesn't say anything to deal with the new section on Demons winning the contest of wills, which currently reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new ITL page 143
A successful roll means the wizard wins his wish. Double
and triple-effect rolls will give extra wishes. Failure means
the demon attacks him! If the wizard is killed, try the same
IQ contest again. If this roll succeeds, the wizard may be
revived after the demon leaves (see Death). However, if this
roll is also failed, the demon will blast the wizard to ashes,
permanently and totally killing him.
The "Failure means the demon attacks him! If the wizard is killed..." suggests to me that the attack would be resolved using the combat system, for which the summoners could/would prepare for. At the very least, it wants something to decide whether that "attack" does result in death or not.

Such as, I was thinking one approach could be to rule that in order to do the battle of wills, the wizard needs to step into the pentagram and stand in front of the demon, and there's no indication whether the contest is won until the demon either bestows a wish or makes an attack.

Even so, a wizard might do it wearing enchanted armor, diamond flesh, blur, etc.

What I would tend to do, is also make the demons more individual, interesting, and grudge-bearing, and have more agency beyond waiting to be summoned, and to have the effects and outcomes of summoning them be a lot more interesting.

Last edited by Skarg; 11-15-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #49
RobW

Quote:
OH! Your link was to the Combat part of your house rules - I didn't realize there was a bunch more above that.
The "Litch" is absolute genius!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #50
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
The "Litch" is absolute genius!
That's where the What-If was sliding off to Why-Not.

Prootwaddle with Ghost-Staff vs Litch, fight!

Last edited by hcobb; 11-15-2018 at 03:47 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote