Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #2581
Nemoricus

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Can't this kind of situation be avoided in Dungeon Fantasy-as-a-product? Like, can't there be classes or packages of some sort that combine the-things with the-prerequisites-for-the-things, instead of offering a finer-grained menu with separate things and prerequisites that offers the opportunity for this kind of confusion and disagreement?

Or at a bare minimum, there could be clearly stated prerequisites within the context of Dungeon Fantasy.
The prerequisites *are* clearly stated. If you have points in Druidic Arts, you can buy Esoteric Medicine (Druidic), and so on. And without exception, if a template lets you buy one of these restricted skills, it has the prerequisite abilities on the template already.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #2582
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
Can't this kind of situation be avoided in Dungeon Fantasy-as-a-product? Like, can't there be classes or packages of some sort that combine the-things with the-prerequisites-for-the-things, instead of offering a finer-grained menu with separate things and prerequisites that offers the opportunity for this kind of confusion and disagreement?

Or at a bare minimum, there could be clearly stated prerequisites within the context of Dungeon Fantasy.
Templates serve the same function as classes and Esoteric Medicine (type) is a Primary Skills for the classes that use it. So the Power source is built into the template (class).

That said dual classing and multi classing is not that easy to do with the templates as presented.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #2583
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Templates serve the same function as classes and Esoteric Medicine (type) is a Primary Skills for the classes that use it. So the Power source is built into the template (class).

That said dual classing and multi classing is not that easy to do with the templates as presented.
It's not bad if the gm allows DF on the cheap.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #2584
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
It's not bad if the gm allows DF on the cheap.
Based on what GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3 - The Next Level says that is questionable: "Simply picking a template and a lens, and adding them together, requires 300+ points and thus the GM’s cooperation."

Another way to do it is the bare bones approach I used in my D&D 3.5 to GURPS 4th Edition Conversion sheet.

I took the 'keep it as simple as possible' approach resulting in very cheap templates (classes). For example:

Cleric [16] (Holy Man F120)
Clerical Investment [5], Blessed or Power Investiture [10], True Faith (15)
Duty [Church/Religion] [-10], Vow (varies) [-10]
Crossbow (DX/e), First Aid/TL (IQ/e), Theology (IQ/h),
Melee Weapons: Axe/Mace (DX/a), Knife (DX/e), and Spear (DX/a),
Occultism (IQ/a), Shield (DX/e), Spells (IQ/h to IQ/v), Throwing (DX/a)
Optional Advantage: Legal Immunity (B65)
Optional Skills: Esoteric Medicine (B192), Hidden Lore (B199), Physician/TL (B213)

Druid lens [+6]
You are a cleric of nature. Add Animal Handling (IQ/a), Naturalist (IQ/h), Pharmacy/TL (Herbal) (IQ/h), Survival (IQ/a), Tracking (IQ/a), Veterinary/TL (IQ/h)
Optional advantages: Animal Empathy (B40), Talent (Animal Friend) (B89-90)

And I did that for the major classes of the time. GURPS Fantasy also has far cheaper options then DF does.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #2585
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Based on what GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3 - The Next Level says that is questionable: "Simply picking a template and a lens, and adding them together, requires 300+ points and thus the GM’s cooperation."
I don't see what that has to do with anything. DF on the cheap isn't an official supplement. Of course DF 3 doesn't allow for it.

Quote:

Another way to do it is the bare bones approach I used in my D&D 3.5 to GURPS 4th Edition Conversion sheet.

I took the 'keep it as simple as possible' approach resulting in very cheap templates (classes). For example:

And I did that for the major classes of the time. GURPS Fantasy also has far cheaper options then DF does.
In what way are your alternate templates a more acceptable way of allowing for hybrid character types than my suggestion of DF on cheap for reducing the cost of the base DF templates.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #2586
dirtcheap

Super Long thread. I missed the KS. Will I be able to buy this box set retail or is there a link I cannot find to get in on pre-order list?
dirtcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #2587
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcheap View Post
Super Long thread. I missed the KS. Will I be able to buy this box set retail or is there a link I cannot find to get in on pre-order list?
You will probably need to wait until it is available for retailer orders, and additionally will be strongly suggested to order through your FLGS. All of which will probably happen much nearer to when the box is about to ship.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #2588
dirtcheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You will probably need to wait until it is available for retailer orders, and additionally will be strongly suggested to order through your FLGS. All of which will probably happen much nearer to when the box is about to ship.
I am in Ventura, CA as I just noticed you are as well. Which local shop sells RPG stuff as they seem to really focus on MTG.

Last edited by dirtcheap; 01-20-2017 at 09:20 PM.
dirtcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:03 AM   #2589
Phil Masters

Quote:
I am in Ventura, CA as I just noticed you are as well. Which local shop sells RPG stuff as they seem to really focus on MTG.
A lot of shops focus on things like MtG, but unless they actually like leaving money on the table, they should be able to order other games in for you. They deal with the distributors who handle these things.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #2590
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Seth's Games and Anime (near Main and Seaward) will custom order basically anything and discounts anything you special order. http://www.sethsventura.com

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-21-2017 at 05:11 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy