Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #241
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
The orange-red eyes seem to be common... the tail is a curious mimicking adaptation. You saw that Boulenger reported on them back in 1888?
Excellent dialog for the sage / mage / distracted professor character faced with the 8000-pound version crashing down St. James' Street.

Seriously, I saw the 1888 reference -- though the brief description in that link didn't mention Boulenger specifically. The eye color does show up in other geckos, but even this particular species apparently isn't all that rare.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #242
Phoenix_Dragon

China bans time travel.

(Okay, not quite, but banning it to prevent showing someone changing history (And upsetting proper tradition) seems like it fits well here)
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #243
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon
China bans time travel.

(Okay, not quite, but banning it to prevent showing someone changing history (And upsetting proper tradition) seems like it fits well here)
The real story is not quite weird, except in its relation to Big Brotherism... if it were a real headline, though, it would be pretty strange.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #244
tHEhERETIC

WTF Korea. Mind you, this is showing up in legit newspapers local to me, and not just on the internet. From the most reliable source I know.

"DIY crucifixion in quarry includes crown of thorns

A 58-year-old former taxi driver described by friends as a religious fanatic appears to have crucified himself atop a quarry on Good Friday, drilling his own palms with an electric drill.

Police found the dead man surnamed Kim on a wooden cross at the crest of an abandoned quarry in Mungyeong, North Gyeongsang, early this week after a report on May 1 from a passerby."

The print version of the story (today--the 6th here in the far East) notes that the 'passerby' is the guy's pastor, who lives less than three miles from this quarry and was out jogging when he found the, er, body. Police questioned him, as you might imagine!

Earlier versions of the story said simply a man was found crucified, and police were wondering whether it was a suicide. That one became a running joke on FB--wait, both hands nailed down and they're thinking suicide???

The quote above is from the JoongAng Daily, May 5th online edition. No luck getting a permalink.

So In Nomine fans...Kobal? Or evil Khalid?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #245
Irish Wolf

Earlier this week, while researching an article for the SCP Foundation (which fell through - nothing I could come up with was this creepy), I ran across a story from a Swedish newspaper about an elk bot fly shooting its larvae into a woman's eye. Apparently, this happens every so often up there...

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #246
Anaraxes

The Australian department of defence has suddenly lost their multi-decade collection of UFO reports and files. Of course, the government shredding all the evidence is a sine qua non of the conspiracy.

But one lone file remains, concerning mysterious phenomena at the Woomera military testing facility deep in the outback.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...disappear.html

What's in this file, and why was it the only one to survive the purge? Or is it just a red herring, while one of the other files has the truth? (Not "had", because they're not destroyed, only missing. Taken by whom and why? The Greys and reptoids already know they're here.)
Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #247
kaulesh

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110608/...weasel_assault

I'm not sure what horrible story could be made with this, but I'm sure there is one.
kaulesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #248
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulesh View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110608/...weasel_assault

I'm not sure what horrible story could be made with this, but I'm sure there is one.
The man was carrying a dead weasel. It just shows the lack of knowledge that the guy didn't know that marten is subset of weasel. Just think how PC's would react...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #249
Anaraxes

But so few PCs put a lot of points into Mustelids! skill. If it weren't for RPK's new Mustelid Hunters series, I doubt we'd see that skill appear at all.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #250
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
But so few PCs put a lot of points into Mustelids! skill. If it weren't for RPK's new Mustelid Hunters series, I doubt we'd see that skill appear at all.
Are there stats for a Marten Net in GURPS Loadouts: Mustlid Hunters?

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox