Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
Plane

Default Re: Diffuse/Shadow Form and cover DR.

Nice find! The 1 or 2 does seem to suggest that it will probably stop as much damage as it takes. Since Diffuse takes full damage from AE, perhaps it works better as cover against AE attacks? Could explain why it's still effective to have soil blocking explosions or water blocking radiation.

Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction not adding to cover DR is a good reason why guys like Superman would definitely need some DR to actually protect people!

It also makes me wonder the importance of the Cosmic modifier on Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction to have it count BEFORE subtracting DR, rather than after, because in that case it sounds like it might effectively increase your Cover DR by reducing the basic damage that your DR acts upon.

Damage Reduction 1/2 (Limited: Piercing Attacks -40%) [30] would change small/normal/large/verylarge piercing multipliers from 0.50/1.00/1.50/2.00 to 0.25/0.50/0.75/1.00

Unliving [20] changes them to 0.20/0.33~/0.50/1.00 which is even better, PLUS reduces Impaling the same way. It costing less must mean that "provides less cover DR" is some kind of disadvantage?

Damage Reduction 1/3 (Limited: Piercing Attacks -40%) [45] would change S/N/L/VL multipliers to 1/6+1/3+1/2+2/3

Homogenous [40] changes them to 1/10+1/5+1/3+1/2 which is similarly better (and again, also protecting against Impaling) which reinforces the idea that reduced cover DR based on HP should probably qualify as some kind of disadvantage if it was possible to separate it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
Hide

Default Re: Diffuse/Shadow Form and cover DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Nice find! The 1 or 2 does seem to suggest that it will probably stop as much damage as it takes. Since Diffuse takes full damage from AE, perhaps it works better as cover against AE attacks? Could explain why it's still effective to have soil blocking explosions or water blocking radiation.

Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction not adding to cover DR is a good reason why guys like Superman would definitely need some DR to actually protect people!

It also makes me wonder the importance of the Cosmic modifier on Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction to have it count BEFORE subtracting DR, rather than after, because in that case it sounds like it might effectively increase your Cover DR by reducing the basic damage that your DR acts upon (...)
Right now I don’t recall any GURPS text stating that soil is a better protection from explosions or water being good blocking radiation. I believe this could initially be part of the physics involved in our world, and the ways it inherently supports what we stamp into a setting: Fire burns, water soaks, lead blocks radiation because its molecules do not let radiation go through so easily, etc.

If you want a certain DR to stand before another DR, you buy force-field enhanced DR.

In the basic book, Damage Resistance (DR) already lists “regular” enhancements to provide better protection (absorption, hardened and reflective), it also brings some limitations as well. I guess that’s the first step towards what you seem to seek (better protection).

B380 establishes wounding modifiers and injury rules assume ordinary living beings. The special situations (unliving, difusse, etc.) play when it comes to unusual entities, not inanimate things. Then, on B408, you read this: "(...) Use the object’s DR alone if it’s a thin slab, like a wall or a door (...)".

But, supposing it was possible enhancing DR with injury modifiers, IMO that would apply to a very thick DR layer and as element to provide it with more specific mechanics when it comes to destroying/damaging it (and not about specifically protecting you).

In other words, I think it helps if you want to get deeper into the details of special (non-armor) DR such as a Jedi’s force-field or a xenomorph’s exoskeleton (which are better if you buy them in high DR amounts, instead). Because, perhaps you will end with an inconveniently thick layer of armor and the need of doing several calculations each time you get hit (maybe it is time for a super suit).

Cover DR types work with thick stuff such as a wall of bricks which lacks the primary purpose of being employed as your armor. If you want better protection from DR you employ some of the “regular” enhancements I mentioned before.

Also, remember as well that vanilla DR usually ignores damage modifiers (impaling, piercing, etc.), it only matters when your actual body gets hit. Damage modifiers work if the ammunition has an armor divisor against your DR.