Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Power as Potency [Magic]

I was contemplating a new rule concerning magical items where the Power of a magical item determines its potency. In the case of leveled bonuses, Power 15 would give +1, Power 20 would give +2, Power 25 would give +3, etc. In the case of items that allow the casting of spells, Power 15 would reduce FP cost by one, Power 20 would reduce FP cost by two and halve casting time, Power 25 would reduce FP cost by three and quarter casting time, etc. In the case of Powerstone, Power would determine energy storage, with a maximum energy being equal to size (carats for gemstones or pounds for other objects). In the case of Scroll, Power would determine the maximum FP cost of a spell written on a Scroll (though it would also provide FP equal to its power for the spell written on a Scroll, with the Scroll only disintegrating when the FP was expended). The impacts on other enchantments would depend on the exact spell.

So, what do you think? I think that it would simplify enchanted items and would give a significant reason for magical items to have high Power. What complications or problems do you think would occur?

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 01-16-2019 at 03:48 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Power as Potency [Magic]

So, no interest in this topic?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Hide

Default Re: Power as Potency [Magic]

What’s up!

I was trying to understand if your idea came from a GURPS book and/or if you are making your suggestions solely based on the GURPS Magic book.

IMO, most items start working at level 15, because the goal of magic items is having their spells work almost all the time. If a magic item has more power, then it is easier to employ it and it is harder to defend against its effects (depending on its type). I believe the potency of the magic item is relative, it depends on the spell bestowed on the item.

Magic items already make you capable of casting magic if you are “non-magical” or save you time when performing magic activities. For that reason, I would not provide them with any other features, except (maybe) for these.