Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Card Games

Old 12-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
jcbeckman

Default Illuminati 2018 and Bavarian Fire Drill

Can I use Bavarian Fire Drill with Illuminati 2018? I see the backs are very different, but there are a LOT of cards, so while it's giving up *some* info it's not giving the whole game away. But if the cards are already accounted for in 2018 or don't work then I won't bother putting them together.
jcbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
jcbeckman

Default Re: Illuminati 2018 and Bavarian Fire Drill

Nobody knows?
jcbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

BFD was an expansion for Illuminati (albeit, for a previous printing of Illuminati). If you want to use it with the recent reprint of Illuminati (with the different backing), it should still work fine, I would presume. (However, as I do not have my own copy of the new printing, I can not state this as a guaranteed fact...)

Last edited by fwcain; 01-30-2019 at 01:06 PM.
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I have both, but haven't looked at them to compare to see how well BFD would fit yet.

I guess since you have both, you could just try and see how it goes? Worst thing that happens is you end up with a weird game and you don't try again.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Skarg

So does anyone know what the differences are between 1st Edition and 2nd Edition boxed Illuminati, other than the box art (and it sounds like the art on the backs of the cards)?

Oh, and I also saw in an interview that the names of some things were updated at some point to reflect more modern things.

Is the art on the card fronts the same, or is it more cartoonish like the 2nd edition cover?

And does anyone know any comparison to the original pocket box, that is now being re-released in the pocket box Kickstarter campaign?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
So does anyone know what the differences are between 1st Edition and 2nd Edition boxed Illuminati, other than the box art (and it sounds like the art on the backs of the cards)?

Oh, and I also saw in an interview that the names of some things were updated at some point to reflect more modern things.

Is the art on the card fronts the same, or is it more cartoonish like the 2nd edition cover?

And does anyone know any comparison to the original pocket box, that is now being re-released in the pocket box Kickstarter campaign?
The bulk of it is similar, but there are some changes to update it to be "more modern" from a topics perspective.

The art is a different style (the new box is pretty representative). You can see pictures of the box art on the main illuminati page, which shows some of the card art

Other than that, it's still basically the same game.

Check out the designer's notes for more details

I don't know that a detailed comparison of the 2nd Edition to the Original Game has been done anywhere.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
AlexYeager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The biggest functional difference is in alignments, where Government/Communist has been decommissioned altogether in place of Media (which acts like Criminal - no opposite). This is the biggest gameplay issue with combining previous edition's cards...
Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #8
MIB 9966

Got my copy to compare and the similarities to the older ruleset are close, but there are changes to the printed rules for the original game that impact many cards.

As Alex noted, Government and Communist is no longer attributes, so some cards now are unaligned, or have less interaction than before. Significantly, this affects the Discordian Society, which is now immune from attacks by Straight and Conservative groups.

The Media attribute is also interesting because while Media has no opposite, it gets an automatic +4 for attacks to Control or Destroy other Media groups, so it's unique beyond Criminal and Fanatic.

The rule to make sure that there is always at least 3 uncontrolled groups at the end of every turn helps greatly for those people to the left of the starting player, and it's nice to see that as an official rule in the base game.

Having playmats for each Illuminati and the summary on the back of them will make things go much smoother for new players (and now I don't have to keep making extra copies of that page to hand out to players to use when teaching/refreshing the rules). Big thanks for adding int he privileged attack rules there too. :)

Yes, the back of the cards are different, so the older expansion will stick out, but blended together to add Artifacts could be lots of fun. I do hope this version sells well enough to warrant the addition of Artifacts in an expansion.

It's different enough to warrant the second edition title, but I know many were hoping for a more revamped ruleset to align more with the good parts of INWO while keeping Illuminati itself true to its core, but we've run that series of arguments with no real consensus on how that merge could work yet.