Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Breath-Holding

How does the different levels of Breath-Holding work exactly?

Example:
Breath-Holding 2, is it x3 the regular time (+100% +100%) or x4 the regular time (x2 x2)?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Breath-Holding

Breath-Holding 2 is 4x, Breath-Holding 3 is 8x, and so on. Note that this advantage is explicitly forbidden for normal humans, who must make do with Breath Control skill.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Breath-Holding 2 is 4x, Breath-Holding 3 is 8x, and so on. Note that this advantage is explicitly forbidden for normal humans, who must make do with Breath Control skill.
I unlocked a half-level and enabled it as realistic for humans, that will unlock the possibility of breaking olympic records.

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-21-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I unlocked a half-level and enabled it as realistic for humans, that will unlock the possibility of breaking olympic records.
Is there a reason you can't get the same effect with Breath-Holding skill at some level?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Is there a reason you can't get the same effect with Breath-Holding skill at some level?
Skill leaves room for critical failure, regardless of how many points you put into it. The advantage increases the time between rolls, further reducing the chances of horrific death.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Maximum normal skill level is 20, this throws a bit less than seventeen minutes with pure oxygen hyperventilation, a base Breathing/HT of 18 and a Perk for +2/HT (only to hold your breath). Half a level of the advantage increases that to 25 minutes, and the world record is about 24 minutes. This assumes that the times are not multiplied by 1.5 with a succesful skill roll, but by 1+(skill-10)*0.1 with extra effort.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Maximum normal skill level is 20, this throws a bit less than seventeen minutes with pure oxygen hyperventilation, a base Breathing/HT of 18 and a Perk for +2/HT (only to hold your breath). Half a level of the advantage increases that to 25 minutes, and the world record is about 24 minutes. This assumes that the times are not multiplied by 1.5 with a succesful skill roll, but by 1+(skill-10)*0.1 with extra effort.
When you do that calculation, are you assuming that the breath-holder rolled a 10? Or that they rolled a 3, or a critical success if there are special rules for critical success? For world records I would assume that "best possible roll" is what produced any given record. . . .

Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
When you do that calculation, are you assuming that the breath-holder rolled a 10? Or that they rolled a 3, or a critical success if there are special rules for critical success? For world records I would assume that "best possible roll" is what produced any given record. . . .
A roll of 10, and since I think that real world records has much less to do with "the luck of the dices" and much more with "hard training", I only allow the dices to determine either failure or success, but not to move the athletic performance from one minute to the other by 65%.

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
A roll of 10, and since I think that real world records has much less to do with "the luck of the dices" and much more with "hard training", I only allow the dices to determine either failure or success, but not to move the athletic performance from one minute to the other by 65%.
Is that RAW, or is it your personal rules tweak? If the latter, I'd like to see the whole dice roll spelled out, I think.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Is that RAW, or is it your personal rules tweak? If the latter, I'd like to see the whole dice roll spelled out, I think.
The RAW crashed when I separated from the fixed +50% if sucessful roll to count in the skill value.