Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Alternate gateway advantages for magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's not an alternative gateway advantage but rather a supplement to Magery. Figuring out why female caster's routinely run around in outfits out of erotic fiction made me realize that they don't get their mana in the same way males do.
Female casters are powered by 'the male gaze'? Well... I guess...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #22
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Female casters are powered by 'the male gaze'? Well... I guess...
A LOT of fantasy artwork features female characters in less then completely covering outfits (Have you ever heard of a chain-mail bikini?) but spellcasters got it with the trend earlier and unlike fighters there isn't a counter-veiling opinion that those outfits wouldn't work.

But no, they aren't powered by the male gaze, what I figured was a reasonable explanation was that they don't generate magic internally like males but rather draw it from the environment and clothing, or at least organic stuff blocks the flow, so wearing less makes you more powerful, but you can't just strip down for a fight, you've got to be wearing less all the time for it to work.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 AM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
A LOT of fantasy artwork...
Yes, I know. I was poking fun.

Quote:
But no, they aren't powered by the male gaze, what I figured was a reasonable explanation was that they don't generate magic internally like males but rather draw it from the environment and clothing, or at least organic stuff blocks the flow, so wearing less makes you more powerful, but you can't just strip down for a fight, you've got to be wearing less all the time for it to work.
Historically male shamans and woojoo workers stripped down as well. Digambara monks are famous for it.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #24
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Historically male shamans and woojoo workers stripped down as well. Digambara monks are famous for it.
Is that just for specific rituals/events or an all the time thing, like what we're talking about here?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #25
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
One way to make a magic system feel different is to use an Advantage other than Magery as the “gateway” for access to spells or rituals. For instance:

consider using Channeling instead of Magery (Path/Book) for a more voudoun-style of Path/Book Magic.

Consider Blessed or True Faith instead of Power Investiture for a style of clerical magic where your deity is a bit more hands-on (but not so hands-on as to be best represented by Divine Favor).

A morality-based magic system might be opened up by an appropriate Higher Purpose.

Illuminated could replace Magery 0 in a setting where mages know a truth about the world that's hidden from everyone else — see Mage: the Ascension and Mage: the Awakening for two examples of this idea.

Medium could be a good entry point for an animistic magic.

Oracle could serve as the basis for a sort of nature magic, sort if like the one found in Celtic Myth.

Empathy might be suitable for some sort of bardic magic system.

Finally, Visualization could possibly empower a sort of “wishcraft” version of Syntactic Magic.
If DC comics is right and magic is a way of "Speaking to the Universe in words it can't ignore." Language Talent and maybe Voice seem like good choices.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 06-22-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Is that just for specific rituals/events or an all the time thing, like what we're talking about here?
Going skyclad for religious reasons can be a religious event thing (as pagans in southern Europe did) or an all the time thing (Digambara monks).

Notably, Digambaran monks are all male. Artists in the 70's and 80's probably didn't want to depict all those naked... male members of a religion.