Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 12-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
revshafer

Default FLGS-Pro and Con

Two local game stores in the area. One is very close, but the owner has a somewhat checkered reputation with the gaming community. For myself, it does not help that he has a largely military community but refuses to offer any military discount. Primarily stocks Munchkin from Steve Jackson Games.

Way across town we have another store. Excellent location. Much better level of service. Much cleaner. Though it doesn't have as large a military presence, it does offer a military discount. It stocks Munchkin, and even has a giant Ogre box for sale. Furthermore, I had been looking for a copy of Kickstarter Tunnels & Trolls. I had picked up a copy from Noble Knight and wanted to buy another locally. I emailed, received a response that they were waiting for their copies and never heard from them again.

Neither exactly have what I want. No GURPS. Nothing that I can't get from Amazon after a slight delay.

On Thanskgiving we ran by a place I haven't shopped in for about twenty years. We just happened to be passing through the area, needed gas, and I was driving the car. Walked in. Store was still in business. Kind of run down place. All kinds of stuff for sale. The variety was inspirational. I found a copy of GURPS Thaumatology that I had been searching for. A copy at MSRP!

There are some places that will take money from my wallet years after the fact, while others have no appeal for me. I am a fickle customer, but if you happen to stock what I am looking for consistently then I will keep coming in and spending. If you don't, and if I feel that you are taking advantage of parts of your community I may look but I will not spend.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: FLGS-Pro and Con

The margins on a retail store are thin enough that the store with the largely military community probably can't afford to offer a military discount, especially if he's got other problems.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Nostri

And for the other store you did get a response from them. If they don't a formal waiting list (or if they do but other people actually gave them money for a pre-order) then they probably considered your business completely. They told you they were waiting for the copies to come in and probably expected you'd show up to put down some money or at least swing by periodically to check in.
Nostri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The margins on a retail store are thin enough that the store with the largely military community probably can't afford to offer a military discount, especially if he's got other problems.
Seconded. I'm originally from a military town and they none of the stories offered a discount because of margins and that was back in the day when RPG's were big nationally and locally.

That said you should always support your FLGS if possible. My local one is shabby, run down and low rent mostly cards and Star Wars minis but they support all kind of gaming, serve as a community hub and even have the GURPS core books

I don't need much gaming stuff, any really but I always try to buy something when there if only soda or a mini or dice.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

I am very lucky. We have Pegasus Games in Madison, WI.

In business for 35+ years. Regular place to game and meet gamers.
Very knowledgeable staff, and very clean place.

If I can get it at Pegasus, I do. Whatever discount I get from the internet pales in comparison to the input and news about upcoming games and the industry that I can get from the FLGS which, after 20 years of being a regular, I count many of the staff as personal friends.

It really helps that we have a few high tech businesses, and a Big 10 University nearby. Always seem to be plenty of gamers.

-P
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote