Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
platimus

Default Re: Automated Character Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
In my feeble mind, it serves to keep that old school paper & pencil feel and yet carry around all my characters on my iPad and in the cloud. Along this theme, I went one better last night and put six sheets, with extra room below for notes, on an 8.5 x 11 in Apple Pages (which now allows the use of the pencil to annotate documents right there in pages!) So now I can keep my whole party in front of me on a single page and scribble all over it.

Let me tell you a story...

Many years ago, my brother and I were going to play darts, and we decided to use use my TRS-80 to keep score and tell us want series of scores we would need to double out. Well, in those days there were no “apps.” If you wanted to o something like that, you wrote a program. Well, we ended up spending the entire evening writing the code to do the end game math instead just doing the much simpler subtraction from 501 and doing the rest in our heads. We never did play a game of darts. The moral of the story is that it’s easy to be blinded by what you can do with tech instead of using it to simply do what you should.
Very true. "High-tech" isn't always the best tech. I'm a firm believer that the simplest/easiest solutions are the best solutions...but I'm thinking you and your brother had more fun programming than you would have had playing darts on that particular night. I would also bet that the programming you did that night was more useful to you and your brother in the long-run than a game of darts -- even if you never used that program.