Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default TFT Demon Summoning Tool

Coming out of the various threads on demons, there was a general consensus that the Solomonic demons are pretty interesting, and that it would also be cool for GMs to have a way to make their own. So I've bashed together a tool which randomly summons up a demon for you - Shademonicae.

http://www.shadekeep.com/shademonicae/

This generates a Greater or Lesser Demon with a random name, appearance, and set of powers. Each demon will always have their usual TFT Wish powers, but I've added additional powers from the Key of Solomon and my own ideas. The idea is that these extra powers count as a Service from the demon instead of a Wish. If you generate a demon you like, you can inscribe it into the Codex and recall it later again by its name. (Some of the Codex functionality is still in the works.)

Naturally, being random, you'll get some damned silly results. But I tried to make it at least a bit sensible. I'm happy to take suggestions for improvements as well, and plan to keep adding to it for a while. If there's a big overhaul then I may have to wipe the Codex, but I'll let you know before I do so.

Anyway, if you check it out, please share your impressions!

(Note to board administrators: Not sure if this belongs in House Rules or not, so please move it if it's more appropriate there. Thanks!)
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Demon Summoning Tool

If you want to make it TFT specific then please add in actual spell or talent names taught.

Also what mischief do they inflict on those who fail to master them?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Shadekeep

Most of the powers don't have corresponding spells or talents. They function in the same way as wishes, i.e., via the creative interpretation of the GM. I do plan to add some guidelines when the power list is more complete.

I am also considering adding an "offering"/"restrictions" line, which would indicate what the demon can be offered in order to make them more co-operative, or any restrictions on summoning them. For example,

"This demon can be made more agreeable by an offering of wine" (or gold or sacrifice or whatever else randomises up).

"The demon can only be summoned at night" (day, Moon is full, certain month or day, weather, etc).

I'm less interested in kicking out a programmed demon with very specific parameters for play, and more interested in giving the GM a demonic character that they can roleplay in a hopefully engaging and unique way.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
malchidael

This....

This is awesome!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
malchidael

Going beyond praise; I think that it might be nifty to score some of the abilities with a minimum IQ, so, for example, if one of the demon abilities is "bestow a charmed ring" (which was one of the results I received just now), then the Demon's minimum IQ would be 15 instead of 11, for example.

This gives the wizard a bigger challenge when summoning specific demons - which might be a problem if that isn't noted in the Codex that the wizard has been studying from....
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Going beyond praise; I think that it might be nifty to score some of the abilities with a minimum IQ, so, for example, if one of the demon abilities is "bestow a charmed ring" (which was one of the results I received just now), then the Demon's minimum IQ would be 15 instead of 11, for example.

This gives the wizard a bigger challenge when summoning specific demons - which might be a problem if that isn't noted in the Codex that the wizard has been studying from....
That's a good idea! Might be useful to give the demons an attribute spread, to give them more individuality. It makes sense that such a thing would be reflected in their abilities. Thanks!