Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
b-dog

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I'm afraid that I couldn't see any way to make a god of magic work. Dungeon Fantasy is, to a significant extent, all about niche protection, and a cleric of a god of magic is just too likely to splatter that. The best thing I can suggest is to make a priest of something like Night (Hecate) or War (Odin) - or use the guidelines for a god of wisdom - and then stretch it as far as the GM will let you. And then apply the lens for a cleric-wizard from DF3 as soon as you've saved up the points.
So for Odin I should just use the War god cleric template and for Hecate the Night god cleric. But I was thinking that since they are both gods of magic then they may grant some extra spells like Identify Spell, Mage Sight, Mage Sense, Seek Magic, Analyze Magic and Restore Mana. All of the combat spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt would be left to Wizards but I feel that a god of magic should grant powers to detect, identify and increase magic. They would need to have Magery to actuallly wield magic however. Does this seem about right? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
They aren't in the DF books.
I suggest you read The Next Level again.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I suggest you read The Next Level again.
*checks Next Level again*
Huh. Look at that. There are the Dark Ones right there! My bad.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #24
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
*checks Next Level again*
Huh. Look at that. There are the Dark Ones right there! My bad.
And Elder Spawn! Don't forget those. Over in the Half-Spirits section. :)

Yeah, they are there... but it doesn't mean that it is a good idea for PCs to follow in their ancestor's footshtepsh.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #25
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
So for Odin I should just use the War god cleric template and for Hecate the Night god cleric. But I was thinking that since they are both gods of magic then they may grant some extra spells like Identify Spell, Mage Sight, Mage Sense, Seek Magic, Analyze Magic and Restore Mana. All of the combat spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt would be left to Wizards but I feel that a god of magic should grant powers to detect, identify and increase magic. They would need to have Magery to actuallly wield magic however. Does this seem about right?
That should work; they could also divert some points from other skills into buying Occultism or Thaumatology. I'd suggest deleting a few spells from their lists to balance the additions, just to keep things looking fair.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
That should work; they could also divert some points from other skills into buying Occultism or Thaumatology. I'd suggest deleting a few spells from their lists to balance the additions, just to keep things looking fair.
Phil: I would say this wasn't an "easy" book to write! Making assumptions can be hard. Still, I'm glad with the results. Undoubtedly there will be more threads making questions about "DF Clerics" and their gods, but now we have more foundational material for addressing the issues.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I'm reading DF 7, and I think Phil has made a great job here!

This small PDF makes more overall sense, is more mature, playable and valuable than several editions of D&D Deities & Demigods together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Looks very nice! now, my copy seems to be lacking bookmarks...
Mine has an errata in the bookmarks: it says "Articultural Gods" instead "Agricultural Gods". The errata is in the bookmark linking to "Agricultural Gods", (p. 8) not in the book.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #27
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Got DF7 late last night, spent much time reviewing.

I like it.

Useful material for either slow and detailed priestly template making, or quick kit-bashing for throwing a game together on the fly. Once again, that delightful middle-ground between "crunchy" and "modular" is attained.

Excellent work.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #28
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I think there were far too few crunchy bits in "DF6: Clerics".

Perhaps that is typical of Phil Master's work? I had the same issue with GURPS Banestorm. One page of crunchy bits was all we got, even in a setting with huge potential for easily a dozen pages of it.

My guess is that if RPK had written "DF7: Clerics", there'd have been a lot more crunchy bits.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I think there were far too few crunchy bits in "DF6: Clerics".
Really? I'm very surprised to hear that said.

Just in terms of crunch alone, this book includes 13 cleric lenses, 12 holy warrior lenses, 3 druid lenses, one scout-as-holy-warrior lens, one swashbuckler-as-holy-warrior lens, 15 new spell lists, 7 minor power changes (e.g., changed abilities, etc.), 8 significant power changes (e.g., a completely new ability list, a new PM, etc.), 3 new mundane weapons, 2 magical artifacts, 3 holy artifacts, and new DF-friendly rules for Claim to Hospitality, making holy water, and using holy symbols as weapons. (And note that I didn't include minor lenses like the Earth Cleric and Druid lenses, only those that made significant changes.)

That's a lot of crunch, to my eyes. In fact, I'd say that this book is about 65-75% crunch, which is a fairly huge percentage. By way of comparison, Banestorm would be about 10-15% crunch and Powers would be about 80-85% crunch. All guesstimates, BTW -- I didn't actually sit down and count every word. :)

Quote:
My guess is that if RPK had written "DF7: Clerics", there'd have been a lot more crunchy bits.
Where would I have fit them? Seriously -- once chapter two starts, there's literally not a single page without crunchiness on it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post

Phil: I would say this wasn't an "easy" book to write!
It wasn't. Rev. Pee Kitty and I made a jillion comments. Poor Phil . . .
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy