Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default [T:IW/SS] Traveller dTon to SS tonnage?

Is there a formula - official or otherwise - to turn a "displacement ton (dton)" as used in Traveller: Interstellar Wars into a regular "ton" as used in the Spaceships line?

I started thinking about how much more detailed the T:IW system can be for "in-between" sizes (e.g. 20 tons, 50 tons, 75 tons, 200 tons, 500 tons, etc.) and started looking at my T:IW book, and then I realized that the dTon is not the same as a ton. So, some help?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: [T:IW/SS] Traveller dTon to SS tonnage?

There's no real conversion, as dTon is really a measure of volume while the Spaceships rules revolve entirely around the ships mass. The best conversion I've done is to just use a rough approximation of the ships Loaded Mass from Traveller (LMass) as the basis of the ships mass in the Spaceships design system, then set SM accordingly based on the Hull Size Table on Spaceships p. 9.

RPK has rules for using GURPS Spaceships in Traveller.

I have some very rough guidelines for intermediate SM ships in GURPS Spaceships, as well as implementation of those rules and RPK's rules in my GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet.

Using those I've designed 100dTon versions of the Suliman as being SM+7 and 300 tons mass while the 200dTon Beowulf and Empress Marava are SM+7.5 and 600 tons mass.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-29-2016 at 06:05 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Is there a formula - official or otherwise - to turn a "displacement ton (dton)" as used in Traveller: Interstellar Wars into a regular "ton" as used in the Spaceships line?
It can't be done, because dtons are a measure of volume and tons are a measure of mass. One dton is one ton of hydrogen fuel tanks, probably about the same for living quarters, more like 5 tons of cargo space or machinery, and an essentially meaningless amount of armor (hundreds of tons).
Old 10-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Phantasm

I can never get that spreadsheet to work in OpenOffice; I've stopped trying. :(

It still seems people are looking at things a little backwards from what I want, though. I want to make the ship in T:IW while shooting for a set tonnage (and relevant SM) rather than using SS, but folks seem to think I want to make the ship in SS. SS is a bit too limited for what I want.

Eric, I'll look at those rules later. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I can never get that spreadsheet to work in OpenOffice; I've stopped trying. :(

It still seems people are looking at things a little backwards from what I want, though. I want to make the ship in T:IW while shooting for a set tonnage (and relevant SM) rather than using SS, but folks seem to think I want to make the ship in SS. SS is a bit too limited for what I want.

Eric, I'll look at those rules later. :)
If you want to make the ship in IW then do it however it makes sense there. Add up all the things you want on the ship and that will lead you to a size. If you want a particular size then adjust your want list but you're not going to be able to make IW ships come in neat 1/20th of the ship's mass modules.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
scc

A Traveler ship's LMass is it's weight, or at least I'm pretty sure it is, you can probably get away with converting that straight into tons for SS
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
davester65

There have been quite a few rule systems for designing Traveler Starships since the original High Guard rules which is pretty much what canonized the dton as a unit of measure (along with the original Traveler rules) and a lot of them also calculated the ships mass along with the volume. I've fiddled with a lot of them and even created a homebrew or two and I'd found that the ships mass usually averaged out to about 3 - 4 tons of mass per dton.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, traveller